Author Topic: new 2015 dollar mule and 2020 dollar mule discovered  (Read 285 times)

Offline Mister T

new 2015 dollar mule and 2020 dollar mule discovered
« on: December 02, 2020, 09:32:16 PM »
In case you haven't seen, a couple more decimal dollar mules have come out of the woodwork. First there was the 2000 dollar mule, then the 2014 ANZAC dollar mule a few years now, now the 2015 dollar mule and the 2020 dollar mule:
https://www.coincuriosity.com/view/2015-mob-of-roos-mule-dollar.html
https://www.coincuriosity.com/view/2020-dollar-mule.html

My suspicion is you probably will find neither in change.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 09:09:55 PM by Mister T »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: new dollar mules discovered
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 10:36:15 PM »
With the speed of modern presses, a run that is so small is unthinkable. At best, the mistake was discovered, most coins re-melted and some escaped. Otherwise, an-error-on-purpose is a realistic option, though I wonder how you would get the errors out of the mint other than by corruption.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Re: new dollar mules discovered
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 10:56:44 AM »
With the speed of modern presses, a run that is so small is unthinkable. At best, the mistake was discovered, most coins re-melted and some escaped. Otherwise, an-error-on-purpose is a realistic option, though I wonder how you would get the errors out of the mint other than by corruption.

Peter
A lot seem to escape from the mints here, some fraudently, some not. Many eventually show up at armored car companies when the coins are being prepared for shipment. I know of some dealers who have contacts at these companies and buy any oddball coins the operators come across. The big question is how do they get out of the company undetected? The security there is tight, or so I thought.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Mister T

Re: new 2015 and 2020 dollar mules discovered
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 01:43:15 PM »
I thought a lot of the security company finds were the sorts of coins that jam their counting and sorting machines - not sure what their processes would be but a clipped planchet or partial collar is still legal tender I suppose.

Offline Mister T

Re: new 2015 dollar mule and 2020 dollar mule discovered
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 10:14:51 PM »
Anyway, looks like there are at least a couple of 2015 one dollar mules out there but so far only one 2020 dollar mule.
Oddly I think it is the only mule so far to have been found in the year it was struck.