Author Topic: Lead seal?  (Read 464 times)

Online FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: Lead seal?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 07:41:42 PM »
While lead is poisonous, it's not *that* poisonous! If it were, urban-dwelling humans would have died out from the fumes from leaded gasoline, which was only phased out in western Europe in the 1980s/90s.

I'm not one to worry about microbes, and I have the constitution of a medieval peasant and don't tend to get bugs, but if I were going to worry about anything from coins and similar items it would be general microbial life on piles of unwashed coins that have been God knows where. Certainly after rummaging in dealers' junk trays or sorting bulk lots bought off the internet, my fingers turn an unappetising black colour!

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 11:30:37 PM »
While lead is poisonous, it's not *that* poisonous! If it were, urban-dwelling humans would have died out from the fumes from leaded gasoline, which was only phased out in western Europe in the 1980s/90s.

I'm not one to worry about microbes, and I have the constitution of a medieval peasant and don't tend to get bugs, but if I were going to worry about anything from coins and similar items it would be general microbial life on piles of unwashed coins that have been God knows where. Certainly after rummaging in dealers' junk trays or sorting bulk lots bought off the internet, my fingers turn an unappetising black colour!
Maybe, but you don't know how much ice cream I can eat in one sitting with numerous episodes of finger licking. It's all rather disgusting. Fortunately, I also have the constitution of a rodent, so I'm good. :laughing:

Bruce
Bruce

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 03:54:02 AM »
hello
in one link for the history but i am sorry ,is in French ??? ???

Les plombs pour sceller au XVIIIe siècle – 1 – Les plombs de textiles –

h

Best regards Gerard

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »
hello
in one link for the history but i am sorry ,is in French ??? ???

Les plombs pour sceller au XVIIIe siècle – 1 – Les plombs de textiles –

h

Best regards Gerard
I had Google translate for me, Gerard, so no worries. That's a great explanation for what I have. Thanks so much for taking the time to look into my seal.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline gerard974

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 02:20:26 PM »
Hello Bruce
i have one big problem with my English ,i see all the popic and when i can help i make
Best regards Gerard