News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

The Brexit 50 pence

Started by <k>, January 26, 2020, 02:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deeman

From previous reported figure I believe that approx. 1,000 Brexit 50p trial coins were made with the original Brexit date of 29 March 2019.
For the delayed Brexit date of 31 October 2019 approx. 1 million were made, all subsequently recycled (reportedly).

Mintage-ophile Deeman signing off!

<k>

Thank you, Deeman. I award you this year's Nobel Prize for Mintage-ophilia.  8)
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Deeman

Got a Brexit 50p in change today. They do exist in the wild!!!!

<k>

I got one today at my favourite cafe. It's still nice and shiny but with quite a few little scratches on it that show it's been around. I never expected to see one of these in my change.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

After having repeatedly asked The Royal Mint and The Royal Mint Museum for information and photos for years, most of which was refused, today suddenly one of the unissued 2019-dated Brexit 50p pieces has turned up. Outside of The Royal Mint, in the hands of a collector. She claims to have found it in circulation in Sheffield. The piece has the date 31 October 2019 on it. It is the only known piece outside of the mint. There is conflicting information on how many of these pieces were made.

There were also made approximately 1,000 Brexit 50p pieces with the date 29 March 2019 on them. No photos of these pieces are available and it remains unknown whether any were preserved. None of these pieces is currently part of The Royal Mint Museum's collection.

Trial strike Brexit 50p 31 October 2019.jpg

Trial strike Brexit 50p 31 October 2019 (1).jpg

eurocoin

The Royal Mint informed me about the following:

The trial piece of the Brexit 50p coin, dated 29 March 2019, had a mintage of 1,000 pieces. 990 pieces were destroyed. The remaining 10 are being kept at The Royal Mint with the intention for them to be transferred to The Royal Mint Museum in the future.

redlock

Quote from: eurocoin on May 24, 2022, 07:00:53 PMThe Royal Mint informed me about the following:

The trial piece of the Brexit 50p coin, dated 29 March 2019, had a mintage of 1,000 pieces. 990 pieces were destroyed.

Perhaps they didn't count correctly and only 989 were destroyed.  ;D

Offa

People still asking stupid prices for them on eBay, the second most common commemorative 50p.
All coins are equal but some are more equal than others