The Brexit 50 pence

Started by <k>, January 26, 2020, 02:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deeman

Has a special finish been applied to the coin? The background appears somewhat dark from the photos.

eurocoin

If anyone is still interested to go to the mint on Brexit day to strike the Brexit 50p and receive the special dated packaging for it, tours will become available again as the mint has this morning started to email people who have booked more than 4 tours telling them that a maximum 4 tours per person is allowed and that their other bookings will get cancelled. It will likely only be possible to book these tickets if you call them.

There were people who had ordered spots on every consecutive tour for (almost) the entire day.

<k>

Quote from: Deeman on January 28, 2020, 09:50:22 AM
Has a special finish been applied to the coin? The background appears somewhat dark from the photos.

It's probably just due to the light that the photo has been taken in.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Deeman

Pre-order ebay sales for uncirculated Brexit 50p range from £4.99 to £16.99 with free postage.

<k>

The Brexit 50p coin has arrived... here's how I made it happen

CHRISTOPHER HOPE

CHIEF POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

The Brexit 50p coin has arrived... here's how I made it happen

Extract:

The design of the new 50p – the latest of 90 different designs for the coin since Decimal Day in 1971 – also seemed almost designed deliberately to avoid triggering family arguments over Brexit. Calls for the coin to be stamped with a "52" – in a nod to the percentage of the population that voted Leave – were rejected, as was a request for it to be adorned with a new Brexit-related heraldic symbol. Instead, the committee chose not mention Brexit at all, opting instead for a quotation from Thomas Jefferson's inaugural address as US president in 1801, and the leaving date – March 29 2019.

So, that platitude is American and not British. Why? I thought somebody had copied it from a low quality Christmas card.

Deeman

Quote from: <k> on January 30, 2020, 11:26:11 AM
The design of the new 50p – the latest of 90 different designs for the coin since Decimal Day in 1971 – also seemed almost designed deliberately to avoid triggering family arguments over Brexit. Calls for the coin to be stamped with a "52" – in a nod to the percentage of the population that voted Leave – were rejected, as was a request for it to be adorned with a new Brexit-related heraldic symbol. Instead, the committee chose not mention Brexit at all, opting instead for a quotation from Thomas Jefferson's inaugural address as US president in 1801, and the leaving date – March 29 2019.

It is an abridgement of one of the principles from Thomas Jefferson's inaugural address on 4 Mar 1801 delivered in the Senate chamber of the Capitol. The full principle read:
"Peace, prosperity, commerce and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliance with none."

Alan71

My newly struck coin.  Got two more already struck (you can have a maximum of three including the Strike Your Own) but this is the one I struck.

GCVO

Quote from: Deeman on January 30, 2020, 11:44:20 AM
It is an abridgement of one of the principles from Thomas Jefferson's inaugural address on 4 Mar 1801 delivered in the Senate chamber of the Capitol. The full principle read:
"Peace, prosperity, commerce and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliance with none."

It's fascinating that they would go with this since many historians think the low point of Jefferson's administration was his economically ruinous embargo on trade with Europe.

eurocoin

The first coins have been found in circulation in Orpington, Kent.

Alan71

Quote from: eurocoin on January 28, 2020, 09:53:32 AM
If anyone is still interested to go to the mint on Brexit day to strike the Brexit 50p and receive the special dated packaging for it, tours will become available again as the mint has this morning started to email people who have booked more than 4 tours telling them that a maximum 4 tours per person is allowed and that their other bookings will get cancelled. It will likely only be possible to book these tickets if you call them.

There were people who had ordered spots on every consecutive tour for (almost) the entire day.
With this post in mind, when I was there it was rather obvious who these people were.  I even overheard people saying they were booked on three other tours.  I heard something about the four tours having to be at least an hour apart, meaning people had no choice but to browse the shop or order from the cafe while they were waiting.

Wisely, there were no A to Z 10p coins in the cafe tills (one person in front of me asked).  If people are doing four tours and getting a maximum of 12 coins each in the one-day packaging, they wouldn't have thought twice about making sure all of their change was given in 10p coins.  The Mint was wise to suspend that for a day.

At 15 minutes, the tour was much shorter than a normal one so putting up with the same talk four times would have been quite bearable.  The talk was focussed on the three previous EEC/EC/EU 50p coins (1973, 1992-93 and 1998) with information about each of them (and how rare the second one was, where I reminded myself how many I had - seven plus the 2009 reissue).  It was then straight in to strike the coin and be given a maximum of two others already prepared coins in the same packaging.

Deeman

Ebay 'buy it now' prices for Brexit SYOC dated 31 Jan range from £45 to £100 (+ £1.50 p&p).

Alan71

Looking in the ones that have actually sold so far (auctions and buy-it-now), prices range from £109.99 plus £5.99 postage right down to £32, free postage.  There was a £200 buy-it-now but "best offer" was accepted and we don't know how much.  At the other end of the scale, there was a £25 plus £2.26 postage again with "best offer accepted".

The fluctuations are interesting.  Just proves that some people have money to waste and others will shop around for the best deal.  As much as I don't like the eBay fleecers, I can't blame them if buyers really are that stupid.

Had I not gone to the Mint myself yesterday, I'd have been happy with the Change Checker/Westminster £4.50 blue card.  I would not have paid a ridiculous price for a piece of cardboard.  I felt fleeced enough paying the £10 Royal Mint price!

Deeman

Quote from: Alan71 on February 01, 2020, 01:52:10 PM
The fluctuations are interesting.  Just proves that some people have money to waste and others will shop around for the best deal.  As much as I don't like the eBay fleecers, I can't blame them if buyers really are that stupid.

The proverb "A fool and his money are soon parted" comes to mind.

Alan71

As the condensed tour was about the three previous EEC/EC/EU 50p coins, it prompted me to get my 2009 50p proof set out last night.  It included all 16 UK 50p designs issued up until that point, and was therefore the only set to include all three of these designs together.  For the 1973 and 1992-93 versions, they are the only sets fo feature the designs on the smaller (1997 and after) coin.  Unlikely that they will ever be issued again!

<k>

If we look back at the history of this coin, it was minted a number of times. How many times? How many batches were melted down, and why? What was the politics behind it?

Perhaps mintage-ophile Deeman can tell us how many of each batch were minted?

Finally, are any of the 2019 batches known have to escaped melting down? Might they appear on the market?