Weight: 4.28 gm
G&G# D313

Obv.: al-sultan al-ghazi
Rev.: ghiyath al-dunya wa'l din

Regards
Soumen
Soumen

THCoins

Cool find and good eye! This is one that i might have overlooked. At first sight the reverse looks a lot like on the common type issued under Ala al-Din Muhammad. This one is much scarcer though.

Saikat

Very nice strike. Loved it! Nicely preserved also. Coincidentally, a similar one got delivered to me yesterday. I haven't got time to photograph it. Will post that when eventually I take a photo of it.
Thanks.
Saikat

soumen

Thanks Anthony & Saikat.

@ Saikat: will wait for your photograph  :)

Regards
Soumen
Soumen

THCoins

When Soumen posted his specimen at the beginning of the year i commented that this was a type i might overlook. Somehow his post did register somewhere in the back of my mind though. So, when i saw the specimen below offered as "Jalal al-Din Feroz" i thought i'd better take it !

AE 16 mm, 4.35 gr

Figleaf

Knowledge can be so rewarding. Congratulations with a really nice, well struck coin, beautifully photographed!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Saikat

I forgot my promise! However, here it is.
Wt:  4.56 gms
Dia:15.22 mm
Thanks,
Saikat

THCoins

Yours is a real heavyweight Saikat. Makes a nice variation in appearance with the rough patina. Would not touch that any further.

Anthony

soumen

Out of touch for a long time due to family turbulence. 

Any way lovely specimen Anthony and Saikat. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Now this below attached specimen (16 mm, 4.22 gm) has been acquired early this year. Here the arrangement in the reverse is little different. In G&G and in all above specimen the arrangement in the reverse is like ghiyath al-dunya / wa'l din. But in this specimen it's written as ghiyath al-du / nya wa'l din. There is no reference regarding this in G&G.

Looking for expert opinion.

Regards
Soumen
Soumen

THCoins

Good to see you back Soumen !
And with indeed an interesting variant. I do not remember seeing this before.
For some coins small layout variations are quite common. Some slightly different types have been attributed to Northern and Southern mints. I do not really have a good explanation for this one. Someone like Ansari may have more to say on this one ?

Tariq

Quote from: THCoins on November 24, 2020, 05:29:20 PM
Good to see you back Soumen!
And with indeed an interesting variant. I do not remember seeing this before.
For some coins, small layout variations are quite common. Some slightly different types have been attributed to Northern and Southern mints. I do not really have a good explanation for this one. Someone like Ansari may have more to say on this one?

Anthony we keep on encountering with Paika's with the crude script, I think they are contemporary counterfeit coins.

THCoins

Quotewe keep on encountering with Paika's with the crude script, I think they are contemporary counterfeit coins.

Agree, that's certainly a possibility.