Author Topic: International shipments 2020 New rules  (Read 910 times)

Offline Henk

International shipments 2020 New rules
« on: January 02, 2020, 08:33:06 PM »
I studied the new postal rates of Post nl and found the following statement: Goods can no longer be sent abroad in a letter but must be sent as a package. The rate for this is € 7,50 (up to 350 grams) or € 9,00 (up to 2 kg) if within the EUR1 zone. This means that sending a small coin or token or even a postage stamp abroad will cost € 7,50 instead of just € 1,50 (letter up to 20 grams). Quite an increase! This makes it impossible to sell a coin with a value of say € 5 to someone abroad. I assume this same rule also applies in other countries (it is stated to be an international rule, probably the international postal union)

Has anyone else noticed this?

I am wondering if the EU agrees because this is a serious impediment to international (European) trade as someone in Germany can sell a coin to a german collector for € 5 plus € 0,80 postage. While someone in NL has to pay € 7,50 postage (instead of € 1,50 which is already much more than the postal rate in Germany).

I am interested to hear your opinion!

Offline eurocoin

• Technical posts member
  • Honorary Member
Re: International shipments 2020 New rules
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 09:02:32 PM »
Although it is correct, I had not heard about this before. PostNL has done no effort whatsoever to make these new rules clear so I will just consider them to not exist as almost no-one in the Netherlands will know about this anyway. Also I expect that PostNL will not start checking letters for their contents.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 09:32:24 PM »
I suspect that this is a consequence of a recent spat in UPU on "terminal dues", that is part of Trump's trade wars.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Chatterjee_Soubhik

• Chatterjee
    • My Numista
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 04:04:12 PM »
Alas, the Trump virus is plaguing us all...

if only the Americans showed some amount of political activeness, would they have averted awarding the post of the president of the US to some racist and sexist businessman whose immense knowledge in economics & mathematics helped him go bankrupt twice... Trump literally another child left behind- a reason the govt should spend more properly educating everyone. You never know who the next president will be...
Numismatics is the window to the history of the human civilisation.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 08:22:21 PM »
Coins have the advantage of being flat and relatively thin. For some time I have been shipping in a stiff cardboard CD mailer, usually inside a standard grey plastic shipping bag forming a tight fit. I've had no customs delays and fewer items lost in the post. Description on the customs form, Numismatica. In cursive.