Author Topic: Greece 2020  (Read 234 times)

Offline cam

• CoinBrothers
Greece 2020
« on: January 18, 2020, 08:52:43 PM »
If you know the Greek language, please help me to add to the coin's profiles inscriptions for the new 2 commemorative Euro coins.

BTW, both coins have a very interesting design.
http://coin-brothers.com | World Coins Catalog, Marketplace & Swap Service + Mobile Apps

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Greece 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 09:30:06 PM »
2500 ΧΡΟΝΙΑ ΑΠΟ ΤΗ ΜΑΧΗ ΤΩΝ ΘΕΡΜΟΠΥΛΩΝ - 2500 years from the battle of Thermopylae.
ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΔΕΜΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ - Greek republic
100 ΧΡΟΝΙΑ ΑΠΟ ΤΗΝ ΕΝΣΩΜΑΤΩΣΗ Ο ΘΡΑΚΗΣ - 100 years from the inclusion of Thrace
ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ - Greek republic

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline cam

• CoinBrothers
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 09:53:10 PM »
2500 ΧΡΟΝΙΑ ΑΠΟ ΤΗ ΜΑΧΗ ΤΩΝ ΘΕΡΜΟΠΥΛΩΝ - 2500 years from the battle of Thermopylae.
ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΔΕΜΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ - Greek republic
100 ΧΡΟΝΙΑ ΑΠΟ ΤΗΝ ΕΝΣΩΜΑΤΩΣΗ Ο ΘΡΑΚΗΣ - 100 years from the inclusion of Thrace
ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ - Greek republic

Peter, thanks a lot! You know Greek or know where to find these texts?
http://coin-brothers.com | World Coins Catalog, Marketplace & Swap Service + Mobile Apps

Offline cam

• CoinBrothers
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 09:55:28 PM »
Also, I wonder, what Greek coin is shown on the first Greek 2 Euro?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 09:58:29 PM »
Pictures are a bit vague. Correct spelling is ΔΗΜΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ, but I read ΔEΜΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ on the top picture. The coin probably refers to the treaty of Sèvres, when Turkey ceded part of Thrace to Greece. In 1920, the Turkish part of Thrace was to a large degree taken by Greek forces, but Turkey regained the territory in 1922 and got to keep it by the Treaty of Lausanne. Bulgarian Thrace was not involved.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 10:14:16 PM »
The central design on the first picture is a Greek helmet. It has cheek and nose guards and a plumed top, making it look most like that of a Corinthian officer. This type, usually without the plumes and worn on the back of the head when not doing battle is the standard attribute of Pallas Athena.

I know only a few words in modern Greek and no classical Greek, but I am familiar with mathematics and Cyrillic script, which gets me past the script barrier. The rest is just a question of using Google translate.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 10:26:31 PM »
In case you meant the second picture, many coins of Thrace use the leaping griffon as principal design. As the lettering on the original is left out on the commemorative, it is not possible to assign it to any coin, but the attached coin, listed on Wildwinds, is not too far off:

Abdera, Thrace, AE18, ca. 360 BC. Trichalkon, Magistrate Hermostrates. 6.32 g. ABΔHΡITΩN, Griffin crouching left. / EΠI EΡMOΣTΡATOY, laureate head of Apollo right in shallow incuse. Var of BMC 89; AMNG 181; Moushmov 2463, all of which have the reverse image in a linear square border. Antiquities.org item V1128.

Peter

Offline cam

• CoinBrothers
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 10:33:24 PM »
In case you meant the second picture, many coins of Thrace use the leaping griffon as principal design. As the lettering on the original is left out on the commemorative, it is not possible to assign it to any coin, but the attached coin, listed on Wildwinds, is not too far off:

Peter, thanks a lot! Yes, I was interested in this coin (or better say, the coins type). Strange, that Greeks made so beautiful design and did not even try to bring any reasonable explanations about these two coins. I was trying to bring some historical background with the help of Wikipedia in the CoinBro catalogue.

Offline cam

• CoinBrothers
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 10:18:24 PM »
Now I've got better images for boh coins.

2 Euro Greece 2020 | CoinBrothers Catalog
2 Euro Greece 2020 | CoinBrothers Catalog

The engraver for both coins is Georgios Stamatopoulos but his initials usually look different. Now it is something like ETAM. What do you think?