Author Topic: Byzantine Empire: Andronicus II Palaeologus (1295-1320) AR Basilikon (Sear 2402)  (Read 177 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
A scarce variety of Andronicus II Palaeologus' series of Basilikon where Michael IX has a mustache.  There seems to be a recent? hoard of these coins in excellent state of preservation that is hitting the auction sites.  Typically, they are all the more common varieties unlike this one...

Byzantine Empire: Andronicus II Palaeologus and Michael IX (1295-1320) AR Basilikon, Constantinople (Sear 2402; DOC V.534; LPC 88.35; PCPC 167)

Obv: KVPIЄ-BOHΘЄI; Christ enthroned facing on backless throne, wearing nimbus cruciger, pallium and colobium, right hand raised in benediction, book of Gospels in left; IC-XC across fields; large dot below each elbow of Christ
Rev: AVTOKPATO-PЄC POMAIШN; Andronicus II bearded and Michael IX with mustache, each standing facing, wearing crown, saccos and loros, both holding labarum between them with circle on shaft below banner

A high-resolution image of this coin is available at FORVM Ancient Coins

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
For a Byzantine coin, this is unc+ :D Maybe "beyond uncirculated" would be a good name for a rock band ::)

What is the meaning of KVPIЄ-BOHΘЄI? If it were Russian, I'd have translated that by "buy candy". Well, almost. :P

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
For a Byzantine coin, this is unc+ :D Maybe "beyond uncirculated" would be a good name for a rock band ::)

What is the meaning of KVPIЄ-BOHΘЄI? If it were Russian, I'd have translated that by "buy candy". Well, almost. :P

Peter

Thanks Peter.  Its one of the best I have seen and the mustache is an added bonus.  KVPIЄ-BOHΘЄI is stands for Κυριε βοηθει which means "Lord preserve"...
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins