News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

QEII - Arnold Machin portrait.

Started by mrbadexample, January 13, 2020, 01:03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbadexample

Here's a link to a 1970 Captain Cook 50¢:

50 Cents - Elizabeth II (2nd Portrait - Captain Cook) - Australia – Numista

And here's mine:

When was the Machin portrait given eyelashes?  :o

Figleaf

Comparing the lines around the eye, I see no difference between your coin and the one on Numista. Either, you are jealous of the jump strike effect on nose and forehead of the Numista coin, or you were looking at the wrinkles on the forehead on your coin :D In any case, it's more dignified than this one. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbadexample

No Peter, I mean eyelashes:

mrbadexample

They weren't there in 1966 (attached), nor are they present on the one linked to in Numista.  :-\

They are present in subsequent years which may suggest a change sometime in 1970. Perhaps the Numista coin is taken from a set - the issues may have been different.

I'd never noticed them before but I've been taking some new photos.

Figleaf

Great, MrT! So mrbadexample is on to something. Good! More research needed.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbadexample

Thanks MrT. It's not the only modification to the Machin portrait that I've found recently. Look at this from the Isle of Man:

Mister T

Yes I'm sure I read that modification were made during or after 1964 when it was first used.

Mister T

I'm still not sure what to think of that linked 1970 50c with no eyelashes - I can't find any other images of such a coin.
Maybe there are two very light eyelashes that didn't photograph well?

mrbadexample

I'm not convinced. The Numista photo is of sufficient quality that the eyelashes would be seen, I think.

Mister T

Anyone looked at this any more? Still not sure what is going on but I'm sure I've read that the 1969 50c piece has a different obverse and there is a double headed 50c with two different obverse designs too I think.

mrbadexample

Quote from: Mister T on August 01, 2020, 09:14:08 AM
Anyone looked at this any more? Still not sure what is going on but I'm sure I've read that the 1969 50c piece has a different obverse and there is a double headed 50c with two different obverse designs too I think.

I've not looked further Mister T, no. Too much gardening to be done at this time of year - numismatics is more my winter sport.

I'd like to know who turned my pictures sideways though.  :o

Mister T

I need to look more closely too - I've got a friend with a couple of the specimens which I should take a look at.

Mister T

Anyone seen one without the eye lashes? I've looked at a few and they all seem to have eye lashes.