Author Topic: Roman coins on old photos  (Read 54 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Roman coins on old photos
« on: January 12, 2020, 02:35:42 AM »
Maybe you like this. When my father-in-law died, his coins naturally fell to me. He bought his coins around 1970-1975 in league with his brother, who was a great numismatist. Here are some coins of his. Of the Trajan I don't know the history, but the Nero was found in the summer of 1969 in a churchyard near Nijmegen (Netherlands), a longtime border garrison town. Among his papers were two photos of the obverse of these coins, both made in 1977. Here they are, and the photos I made today with my iphone.

1. Nero AE As. Lugdunum, ca. 65 AD. NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P, bare head right, globe at point of bust / GENIO AVGVSTI S-C, Genius standing left, sacrificing from patera over altar & holding cornucopiae. 31 mm, 10.38 gr. RIC I 464.

2. Trajan, AE sestertius. Struck 101-2 AD. Obv. IMP CAES NERVA TRAIAN AVG GERM PM, laureate head right, left shoulder draped (with aegis). Rev. TR POT COS IIII P P, Pax seated left on square chair with branch and sceptre, SC in exergue. 32 mm. 24.46 gr. RIC 432 var.

-- Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Roman coins on old photos
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 11:36:17 AM »
Great family provenance !
How easy it has become for us now to be able to make superior pictures with a phonecam. Who could have imagined this in 1969 !