Author Topic: Austrian 10 groschen  (Read 227 times)

Offline b1gb0b57

Austrian 10 groschen
« on: January 08, 2020, 01:20:57 AM »
Hi!
I recently purchased  KM-2874 10 groschens of 1948 and 1949. The seller claims they were overstruck on Nazi KM-101 10 pfennig. Other than nasty rusted dies, it's hard to see anything as such. On the '49, I can see the slant of the 0 in the German "10". My question is how prevalent are these overstrikes, and were all the early zinc 10 groschens overstrikes?  What additional value over KM prices does this add?

Thanks All!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Austrian 10 groschen
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 07:49:29 AM »
I have seen 1948 before, but not 1949. When the Allies had finished the nazi empire, they started a process of de-nazification. Part of that policy was to replace coins with nazi symbolism, like the swastika. In Germany, this was done by taking off the swastika and continuing to strike coins with such changed nazi dies.

Austrian banks must have had quite a few nazi coins on their hands, as they filtered them out of coins received. They didn't have a hope of getting any money out of Germany for them, though. As soon as new dies were available, the hoarded foreign coins were ideal "blanks", so they were overstruck at the Vienna mint.

Indeed, on most coins there are only vague traces left of the host. I tend to think that practically all the 10 groschen 1948 were overstruck, but the quality of the overstrike (note that the Austrian coins are deeper struck than the hosts) is such, that on most coins, the host no longer shows. If there are overstruck 1949 coins, that would support my theory: why make flans when you still have nazi 10 pfennig coins? In that sense, the premium asked for coins with traces of the host visible seems unwarranted to me.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
Re: Austrian 10 groschen
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 04:21:30 PM »
I have owned one but it was a smaller denomination and the swastika was clearly visible. It had no interest for me so I traded it for $200 store credit.
My feelings from discussions is it isn't all that rare but certainly with some value and more so with distinctive features.
Dale