Author Topic: Habbarid Amir of Sind, AR Qanhari Dirham, Ahmed  (Read 140 times)

Offline soumen

Habbarid Amir of Sind, AR Qanhari Dirham, Ahmed
« on: January 07, 2020, 08:31:21 PM »
Habbarid Amir of Sind
Ahmed
AR Qanhari Dirham
Dia.: 8.42 mm
Weight: 0.48 gm
G&G #AS42 // Fishman & Todd #HS25

Legends
Obv.
La ilah illa / Allah wahdahu / la sharik lahu

Rev.
Muhammad / rasul / Allah al-Amir / Ahmed

This specific type coin of Amir of Sind is marked as uncertain ruler in G&G (#AS42). As per Fishmam & Todd this specific type with crude angular Kufic inscription belongs to Amir Ahmed (#HS25). In this regards there are several examples of this type in numismall site with name “Ahmed” visible in rev. bottom.

Also in G&G it’s been mentioned that illustrated are slightly enlarged in this specific type which is quite prominent from the ratio of the coin and inscription if we compare with coins of other Amir or other type of Ahmed.

Though the name of the ruler is completely off flan in my coin but still posting this for adding further information from the experts. Also as I don’t have the Fishman & Todd book and my information is limited to numismall site and some forums, I am curious to know that is there  any other Amir who has issued coins of this specific legend type?

Regards
Soumen
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 08:34:43 AM by Saikat »
Soumen

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Habbarid Amir of Sind, AR Qanhari Dirham, Ahmed
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 11:49:54 AM »
Not an expert on these, but have seen the type before. There was a time not so long ago when large quantities of these tiny coins were put on the market, among which also many likely modern fakes. This type was also one of the types of which very dubious and die identical specimen appeared. A similar specimen was shown on the forum previously here. Luckily the Fishman work has put some clarity in this field again. I would trust his assertion of these as a genuine type issued under amir Ahmed.

Offline soumen

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 04:49:13 PM »
Thanks a lot Anthony.

I am also not an expert on these. I don't know the around time frame when the issue of modern fake of these type came out. Also I don't have any picture of suspicious coin of that time. I have seen picture of this kind in zeno posted in 2003. Can you recall any approx time frame when the issue came out.

Also in zeno there is a section for "Questionable coins from Sind / Multan area". There are some coins of this type. But in my personal opinion, if we see carefully there are significant visual difference in strike of legend which is not similar to this one.

But for time being I keep this one as unresolved until more resources came form scholars.

Regards
Soumen
Soumen

Offline shiblius

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 06:45:18 PM »
A very nice specimen, Soumen.
There are multiple issues with angular and unconnected Kufic legends. The Fishman and Todd catalogue assigns these to later Habbarids of Sind. However, there were five distinct Arab states in medieval India mentioned in the contemporary Arab sources and then later in the Urdu history literature produced during the nineteenth century in India. These included:

1) Habbarids of Lower Sind
2) Banu Sama of Upper Sind (Multan)
3) Madanids of Makran (Gedrosia of Greek times)
4) Mahanid dynasty of Sanjan (Modern Gujarat, India)
5) Kharjiite rulers of Toran (modern day Khuzdar and Kallat in Balochistan, Pakistan)

Fishman and Todd do not admit the possibility that some of these Dammas were struck by the rulers of Makran or Toran. The Mahanid dynasty was very short-lived only 25-30 years. However, the catalog does do a good job at cataloging the different types however the associated historical narrative should be regarded as one of many possible hypotheses.

Offline soumen

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 03:48:48 PM »
A very nice specimen, Soumen.
There are multiple issues with angular and unconnected Kufic legends. The Fishman and Todd catalogue assigns these to later Habbarids of Sind. However, there were five distinct Arab states in medieval India mentioned in the contemporary Arab sources and then later in the Urdu history literature produced during the nineteenth century in India. These included:

1) Habbarids of Lower Sind
2) Banu Sama of Upper Sind (Multan)
3) Madanids of Makran (Gedrosia of Greek times)
4) Mahanid dynasty of Sanjan (Modern Gujarat, India)
5) Kharjiite rulers of Toran (modern day Khuzdar and Kallat in Balochistan, Pakistan)

Fishman and Todd do not admit the possibility that some of these Dammas were struck by the rulers of Makran or Toran. The Mahanid dynasty was very short-lived only 25-30 years. However, the catalog does do a good job at cataloging the different types however the associated historical narrative should be regarded as one of many possible hypotheses.

Thanks a lot Bilal for your valuable inputs. I need a grater study on history of this area.

I am trying to get the Fishman & Todd book. But the book is out of print.Communicated with the publisher but there also unavailable.

Regards
Soumen
Soumen