Author Topic: Gwalior: Jayaji Rao, AR Rupee, Lashkar, Bow-arrow down, LW19/67......lustrous!!  (Read 169 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Gwalior, Jayaji Rao, 1843-86 AD, Lashkar mint, 11.00g, LW 19/67

Obv: Rulers initial in Nagari script to right “Ji” (जी); inverted bow and arrow, dot above

Rev: Name of Mughal Emperor Shah Alam II

Brilliant mint strike and lustrous!
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Indeed, I imagine that this is how the coins came out of the mint. Succulent. Congratulations with another Mitresh-level acquisition. What do you do to keep these beauties in your coin harem from fighting? ;)

I am wondering about the rough edges (the third dimension), though. If you apply enough heat to the coining process, metal becomes smooth. The tiny cracks say that the metal was maybe just a little not hot enough, but that doesn't explain the edge, that looks like it was broken off. Puzzling.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
Recently, a very big Hoard of Gwalior coins has come to the market - maybe about 250 Kgs - as per one dealer of Gwalior. The coins are being sold @ 40K - 42K per Kg. But most of the good coins have already been sorted out from the lot.

In this lot, I have seen many such brilliant UNC Mint state coins. I will try to post some images in the evening. I purchased these coins @ 600 per piece.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
My UNC Coins of Gwalior State. Both from Fort Mint.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
I didn't expect different dates. What luck to be around at the time this hoard was discovered.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Abhay

• Honorary Member
I didn't expect different dates. What luck to be around at the time this hoard was discovered.

Peter

It had many different dates, as well as varieties. Some unreported coins were also found in this hoard. I was lucky to get one such coin @ Rs. 600 only. Rest I had to purchase from the dealers at somewhat increased rate. But all the 4 coins are from the same hoard.

Ain (ع) Rupees of Gwalior Fort Mint with ज , जे , जा , जी

Weight : ज - 11.03 Gm; जे - 11.04 Gm; जा - 11.06 Gm; जी - 11.08 Gm
Size: ज - 19.37 mm; जे - 19.49 mm; जा - 19.41 mm; जी - 19.80 mm

Ruler: ज & जे - Jankoji Rao; जा & जी - Jayaji Rao

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
So this lot, that has been hidden for a long time contained a very large number of coins of the same or very similar types from a number of different years in different grades, ranging up to unc, some with shroff marks.

It sounds like the treasure of someone who received a large number of smallish payments, adding up to an amount he could not or would not spend, but kept in silver, without converting any of it to gold. Puzzling.

The coins seem too valuable for religious offerings from a large number of individuals, too cheap for bribing a court official. A merchant or shopkeeper would have found a way to invest it and would have had more types of coin. A farmer or soldier would have wasted or lost it, a nobleman would have preferred the amount in more portable gold. Frankly, it sounds most like the treasure of Teshoo Lama from Kim.

Peter