Nice large medal.

Size: 36mm
Weight: 22.18gr

saro

This one is a medal for nowruz 1333 SH.
صاحب الزمان  ادركني   " Ô Lord of idyllic time"
top : "nowruz"
reverse : the Shah Muhammad Reza Pahlavi & Farah
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

Is that a character or a mint mark at 6 o'clock below the ribbon on the portrait side?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Quote from: Figleaf on January 03, 2020, 10:09:41 PM
Is that a character or a mint mark at 6 o'clock below the ribbon on the portrait side?
it looks like a swan, the Berlin mintmark (also found on a Reza Shah 5 rials )

Manzikert

Saro, do you have any more information about the use of the swan by Berlin, such as when introduced, and was it only used on foreign contracts?

I have looked at my earlier modern Iranian coins and find that the earliest I have with it is 1934 and the latest is 1950. The most interesting are a few silver 1 and 2 dinars [oops, rials!] dated 1944 and 1945: I assume that the partially dated master dies were made in Berlin, and the dates later filled in on the working dies in Tehran, with the mint not noticing the swan (I had noticed it, but not realised what it was). I certainly can't imagine Berlin striking them at the end of the war, let alone actually exporting them to Iran under Allided influence. The earlier pieces are well made, but the later ones are often weakly struck, consistent with being minted in Iran.

Alan

saro

Dear Alan,
Your suggestion  makes sense, unfortunately, I haven't informations on the subject and I only made the connection between this "swan" with the mintmark found on iranian coins struck at Berlin mint...

maudry

Thank you for your comments.
I have made larger pictures of this swan and the one on a 5 Rials from 1310.
They are similar but nor identical.

Manzikert

Allowing for the fact that they are at most only about 1.25 mm high, I think they are intended to be the same. I would still be most interested to know the connection between the swan and Berlin, as I haven't been able to find a reference to dies being prepared there.

Alan

saro

Quote from: Manzikert on January 05, 2020, 01:52:55 PM
I would still be most interested to know the connection between the swan and Berlin, as I haven't been able to find a reference to dies being prepared there.

Dear Alan, I haven't been able too to find any reference ... only this comment on Vcoins for a Reza Shah 10 Shahi coin : "  struck SH 1314 (1935) in Berlin Mint Germany, Berlin Mint privy mark "Swan" below Reverse margin "