Author Topic: South Africa 10  (Read 151 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
South Africa 10
« on: January 02, 2020, 04:07:53 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place :-)  South Africa 10.  Cool back story...some of our friends brought in an exchange student from South Africa when I about ten (he was the same age).  We got along wonderfully and I taught him how to ride a bike.  In return he gave me some coins that I still have today. 
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: South Africa 10
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 10:05:33 AM »
This coin was issued when race-discrimination was official government policy in South Africa and it shows.

The person on the coin is Jan van Riebeeck, first leader of a group of Dutch colonialists arriving around the Cape in 1652. the intention of his sponsors, the VOC, was to establish a base for ships travelling from Amsterdam to Batavia (now Jakarta in Indonesia). That base, the fortress of Good Hope, became the centre of a land grabbing effort, as more colonists arrived, driven by reasons varying from good land, temperate climate to religious persecution.

The person not on this coin is Shaka Zulu. He created an empire, starting out from Bulawayo, now in Zimbabwe. His wars and bouts of cruelty brought about a flow of refugees from conquered tribes into the Cape colony. At the same time, British rule there drove the original Dutch colonists (Voortrekkers) North towards Oranje rivier. The Zulus had a very large numerical majority, but their main arms were spear and shield, while the Voortrekkers and British were armed with muskets and rifles. Think of Saddam Hussain versus the US army for a similar situation, over a century later ...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Re: South Africa 10
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 08:23:01 PM »
Peter, I agree with your history.  While I can't recall his name I do remember he was from the Tswana tribe.  Nice kid. 
I spent a number of months flying missions out of Uganda and saw first hand what genocide looked like in the Congo.  I don't think it's a matter of skin color...just human nature.  I saw the same thing in the former Yugoslavia.  My rule of thumb is "people mostly suck" :-)  I know, rosy take on things ;-)
The Chief...aka Greg