Author Topic: Modern coins that lack a raised rim  (Read 446 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Modern coins that lack a raised rim
« on: December 21, 2019, 02:09:20 AM »
Israel, 5 lirot, 1965.  The Knesset.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Modern coins that lack a raised rim
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 02:09:53 AM »
Cyprus, 500 mils, 1970.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 02:12:00 AM »
UK, 2 pounds, 1996.  Collector coin - not a circulation coin.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 02:13:59 AM »

Irish 10 shilling coin, issued in 1966 to commemorate Pádraig (Patrick Pearse).

You might think that all such coins, without a raised rim, are collector coins only. However, the Irish authorities did intend this coin to circulate, but it proved to be unpopular with the public.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 03:52:28 PM »
Very interesting subject. These would be the last coins without a raised rim. Chinese cash coins are the first with a raised rim. Therefore, the question arises in what period and why did the raised rim conquer the world.

Here is my incomplete hypothesis: the raised rim is possible only on cast coins and on machine-struck coins. The start of the raised rim victory was in 1816, for several reasons. One, now that Napoleon was defeated, Russia, Turkey and Austria exhausted and Germany divided, Britain became top of the economic food chain, top trader and thereby a benchmark for others. Two, Britain undertook a wholesale reform of its coinage in 1816 and gave them all a raised rim. Three, the industrial revolution - another British thing - provided the machinery to raise rims mechanically. Four, it was just a pretty good idea, as it made it much easier to make piles of coins, which facilitates coin handling. Some areas may have lagged a little, but it all started in 1816.

Does anyone have a better hypothesis, or facts that disprove my hypothesis?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 02:27:48 AM »
Stipple rims were used long BC on struck coins and had the same effect as full-rim coins: easier stacking. These rimless coins are a bit like infinity pools: they have a strong graphic effect. Not meant for intensive circulating, but to amaze and entice collectors.

— Paul

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 02:41:41 AM »
These rimless coins are a bit like infinity pools: they have a strong graphic effect. Not meant for intensive circulating, but to amaze and entice collectors.

Aesthetically, such coins do not appeal to me. That is because the flat surface makes them look more like art medals than coins.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 08:53:13 AM »
I once had all the coins presented above. The effect Pellinore describes worked very well on the Irish and Israeli coin, hardly or not on the others. The Irish coin has a strongly concave field, the Israeli coin a weakly concave field, the others have a flat field.

As <k> notes above, all except the Irish coin are pseudo coins. I am happy for those to look like medals. For me, the interfering element is rather the denomination.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 02:58:46 PM »
The image below is taken from a PDF of the article A Living Collection - Numismatic Holdings of the Royal Mint, written by the then curator Graham Dyer.

The article was published in September 1988 in the US magazine 'Coin World'.