Author Topic: Your thoughts on this counterstamp would be appreciated  (Read 294 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
Your thoughts on this counterstamp would be appreciated
« on: December 15, 2019, 12:59:45 PM »
I really haven't been able to decipher the meaning of this old counterstamp, so thought I'd post it and see if anyone has any ideas.

In some ways it looks like a fraternal stamp of sorts, but is more likely a private merchant issue. It's been described as "three balls and a bowling pin." and does look like that, but I'm not so sure. I've done an internet image search but found no matches. The coin is an 1829 Large Cent and the stamp is probably as old. It's intriguing to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts or would like to speculate on this piece? Thanks so much.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Your thoughts on this counterstamp would be appreciated
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 01:41:34 PM »
Since the two flanking letters are sort of straight lined, my impression is that the middle element is a bowling pin with three balls.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 07:02:47 PM »
It does look like three calls and a bowling pin and it's been described that way. Somehow, I think there's more to it. Maybe a metal worker or blacksmith's mark?

I love these little mysteries. Unfortunately, most are never solved.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 11:25:24 PM »
Rather than thinking bowling look at older games such as Skittles...

Skittles is an old lawn game and target sport of European origin, from which the modern sport of bowling is descended. In regions of the United Kingdom and Ireland the game remains a popular indoor pub game. A continental version is popular in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Another name for Skittles is Ninepins see Old Games for more info. This mentions Dutch settlers brought Ninepins to America in the 17th century so perhaps we are seeking a Dutchman's descendant with the initials HP? ???
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 06:43:22 PM »
Rather than thinking bowling look at older games such as Skittles...

Skittles is an old lawn game and target sport of European origin, from which the modern sport of bowling is descended. In regions of the United Kingdom and Ireland the game remains a popular indoor pub game. A continental version is popular in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Another name for Skittles is Ninepins see Old Games for more info. This mentions Dutch settlers brought Ninepins to America in the 17th century so perhaps we are seeking a Dutchman's descendant with the initials HP? ???
Food for thought, Mal. I'm not finished trying to attribute this one, so it's another direction I can go in. Thanks.

Bruce
Always Faithful