Author Topic: Need help completing attribution of Bengal Presidency rupee  (Read 173 times)

Offline Seeker55

Need help completing attribution of Bengal Presidency rupee
« on: December 13, 2019, 02:12:19 AM »
Hi guys,
I need your help to complete the attribution of this silver rupee from the Bengal Presidency of the British East India Company.
It's machine-struck, weighs 10.97 g, the diameter is 28.6-28.9 mm, and has diagonal striations on the edge. It has the fixed date of 19 and the mint appears to be Murshidabad.

It's similar to KM 106, however the bottom line on the obverse (first photo) doesn't match. Nor can I match this bottom line to any of the other Bengal Presidency rupees listed in Krause. I'm wondering if someone can help me figure out what this line says and what it means about the coin. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 04:11:37 AM by Seeker55 »

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Re: Need help completing attribution of Bengal Presidency rupee
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 04:36:21 AM »
Dear Seeker55, your coin reads:
India, (Bengal Presidency), Shah Alam, AR Rupee (Private Issue).
Obverse: Legend in Farsi: سكه محمد رشيد أحمد سايه فضل اله حامى دين محمد شاه عالم بادشاه , Sikka Muhammad Rashid Ahmad saya fazl Ilah Hami din Muhammad Shah Alam, Badshah, meaning, “ Coin of Muhammad Rashid Ahmad Shadow of the divine favor, defender of the religion of Prophet Mohammad, Shah Alam Badshah”.
Reverse: Legend in Farsi:  ضرب مرشداباد سنه 19 جلوس ميمنت مانوس , Zarb Murshidabad sanat 19 julus maimanat manus, meaning, “Struck at Murshidabad in the 19th year of his reign of tranquil prosperity”.
Please note that this is a private issue of Muhammad Rashid Rafiq Ahmad in the style of the immobilized Bengal Presidency Year 19 coin.

Maythem

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 04:48:08 AM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline Seeker55

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 03:33:07 PM »
Dear aws22,

Thank you so much for your assistance. You are a tremendous help.

Now I'm wondering if anyone knows about the time frame of Muhammad Rashid Rafiq Ahmad and the value of these silver rupees, whether just bullion or some curiosity/rarity value.

Doing a Google search I can see he privately issued gold mohurs also in the style of those of the Bengal Presidency under Shah Alam II, for example

biddr - Heritage Auctions, Weekly Auction 231943, lot 64292. Muhammad Rashid

However, I can't find any examples of the silver rupees listed, nor am I finding any biographical informaton. If anyone knows more about this fellow or his coins, I'd like to hear.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 05:45:07 PM by Seeker55 »

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 05:48:51 AM »
These would be later Jewelers issues, styles on the British India rupees.

Amit 
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Seeker55

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 12:57:40 AM »
Thanks for the additional information, Amit.

So my understanding now is that this is a Jewelers issue, a significantly later imitation of a Bengal Presidency rupee. Not exactly a copy, because it doesn't quite match and it gives the name of the private issuer. Interesting curiosity piece, because I didn't know such pieces were made. I still don't know the value but imagine it's much less than an authentic piece.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 04:41:08 PM »
I still don't know the value but imagine it's much less than an authentic piece.
The price depends on the collector. There are some who collect such 'coins'. I for one have been collecting fakes od various Mughal, IPS and RI coins.............. and have some times paid a price equal to the price of an original Silver coin.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Seeker55

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 04:43:14 PM »
Thank you for your very helpful thoughts, Amit.