Author Topic: Plastic in coin cartons and plasticizer  (Read 8866 times)

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
Re: Plastic in coin cartons and plasticizer
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2009, 02:09:59 AM »
Any of the pages made from Mylar, or polyethylene are fine, neither use plasticizers. It is the vinyl plastics that have the problems.

Bruce

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Plastic in coin cartons and plasticizer
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 07:55:50 AM »
Just bought 50 pieces of self adhesive coin holders.I haven't got them yet,but will definitely share my experience after I get them.He is quite reputed dealer on E-bay India,so I hope there will not be any problem with holders. ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 04:22:39 PM »
Those should be fine, the 'plastic window' in them is safe, and generally covers the carboard. Some of the better types use  a non-acid cardboard also, soyou should be good  all around.

Bruce

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Plastic in coin cartons and plasticizer
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 04:34:35 PM »
My holders arrived today.I'm very happy to see their quality.E-bay is not that bad ;)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Paulsoumyaj

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2020, 07:28:46 PM »
Hi...started putting my coins into a coin album (made in china). Now reading more on this in WoC I am planning to store these in cardboard Coinholders with a transparent sheet 100% acid-free plasticizer (as claimed by the manufacturer) and put them into coin holder sheets. However these coinholder sheets are probably made in China. Is this a workable solution?

Requesting guidance.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2020, 11:27:41 PM »
Just bought 50 pieces of self adhesive coin holders.I haven't got them yet,but will definitely share my experience after I get them.He is quite reputed dealer on E-bay India,so I hope there will not be any problem with holders. ::)

Aditya

I know your post is old, Aditya, but I can vouch for the self adhesive coin flips. I have many coins that have been houded in them for well over fifteen years with no problems. The coins are unchanged in appearance and the holder gives a nice clean look with no ugly staples. Their use also avoids the possibility of staples damaging your coins.

Have you experienced any problems with yours over the years?

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2021, 07:29:37 AM »
Have you experienced any problems with yours over the years?

Bruce

I have. These proofs, when purchased, arrived in a mylar flip. Although I personally prefer a simple 2"x2" envelope, I left them in it. A few years later and I now have impaired proofs. :(

Fortunately they were relatively cheap purchases.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2021, 12:06:27 PM »
The Cu-Ni coins can be salvaged. Rub them lightly with a very soft cloth (I like to use old baby clothes).

If this is not enough, cover the coin with a thin layer of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Sprinkle the soda (not the coin directly!) with a few drops of citric acid. The two will react, foaming and fizzing. When the reaction has finished, neutralise with warm water. Dry well (same baby cloth, followed by a bask in a warm place, e.g. a central heating element). I got this recipe from legendary Amsterdam coin dealer Jacques Schulman, who said it can be used on proofs. I used it on unc coins only, though, so you are on your own for proofs.

The bronzes are more iffy. Try the baby cloth first. If necessary, dip it in some acetone. Important: do not use Schulman's recipe on bronzes.

If it's any comfort, paper would likely have had the same effect. Try keeping them proofs in a plastic coin cabinet with covered drawers. Check regularly. Repeat the above when necessary.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2021, 12:19:54 PM »
While I never stored proofs in them that I can remember, the ones I have stored in them have fared well. Could the cloudiness on your coins be from something else?

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2021, 05:06:08 PM »
The problem with the staple sealed holders is that there are gaps that allow air in, and moisture can be trapped.  If the coins are important, I would go to cointain type containers, they are clear, have non-reactive spacers ring to keep the coin from moving, and are easy to open if needed.

Bruce

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2021, 10:50:24 AM »
While I never stored proofs in them that I can remember, the ones I have stored in them have fared well. Could the cloudiness on your coins be from something else?

Bruce

I don't think so Bruce, no. They were in a 2x2" coin box with other coins which were all in envelopes. Nothing else has been affected - the only difference was the flip.

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2021, 10:57:49 AM »

If it's any comfort, paper would likely have had the same effect.

I'd be pretty cheesed off if that was the case - almost all my coins are in acid-free 2x2" coin envelopes and I've never had an issue with them.

I also use silica gel sachets in the coin boxes.

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2021, 02:45:30 PM »
The key might be that there might be some non-acid free paper in the cases. Some acid will "outgas", that is produce fumes that some metals, like silver, will react with.

Bruce

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2021, 08:09:40 PM »
Good point, Bruce. "Old" paper used to be bleached with chloride, which could ruin any coin. That's banned now, but I still won't use paper. Quite recently, I received an unc silver coin that had discoloured in the four days it was in the mail inside a "modern", new 4 by 4 paper bag.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2021, 08:29:21 PM »
The key might be that there might be some non-acid free paper in the cases. Some acid will "outgas", that is produce fumes that some metals, like silver, will react with.

Bruce

I've no idea where the seller bought their flips but if they were sending them out they probably weren't bothered what they were made of. I think there's a good chance it wasn't acid-free paper.

Note to self: throw away whatever the coin arrives in. ;)