Author Topic: Plastic in coin cartons and plasticizer  (Read 7508 times)

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
Re: Plastic in coin cartons and plasticizer
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 05:29:39 PM »
I've got some of the adhesive card holders on the way from my 'tame' dealer.   I've given him an initial order for packs of 25, one each for £5, £2, £1, and 50p, which should be a good start for my 'best' coins.

Next time I go shopping, I will try to get a suitable album with pages to take the holders.   I think that I can get them locally.   I might also get a pack of mixed pages for miscellaneous coins outside the normal collection, depends on what I can get.

Further reports will follow!

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »
Bill,
Out here in India, we get the coin holders in vatious size of windows. Starting at 17 mm and moving up. 20 mm, 22.5 mm, 25 mm, 27 mm, 29 mm, 31 mm, 33 mm, 35 mm, 37 mm & 40 mm. However for the thicker coins you will need to use mostlikely the holder one size above the actual fit. This will prevent the plastic stretching and the coin popping out.
Also please remember what (I believe) Peter had mentioned. Uou will need to keep them pressed for some time after you have put your coin in to allow the adhesive to cure.
Once you have the coins in the holder and are looking for the plastic sheets to house the collection, make sure that you have the 2" x 2" holder. I had my aunt send me some from the US and I got a few having 1.5" x 1.5" size.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »
Thanks for the tips Amit.

I ordered the holders from a dealer who uses them, quoting the coins that they are required for, so there should be no problems.   He will know the right ones, but anyway I've only ordered 25 of each to start with and if they're not right I can always put them to 'best use'.   I'll order a proper supply when I'm used to using them.   I have an idea about a way of clamping them shut, perhaps overnight.

The pages I should be able to get from a large stationer in town, so I shall be able to see what sizes they have.   I'll be taking a sample of what I want to put in them.   I think that they also do a pack of about six sheets for different sizes which might be useful for holding mixed coins as my collection grows.

Holders in the post to me, and I shall be going shopping tomorrow.   All organised  8)

Bill.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 09:53:04 PM »
Bill,
The coinholders of most brands usually are 50mm x 50 mm (or 2" x 2"). There are two sizes of coin albums. Small size with pages to accomodate 12 coin holders. Or regular size with pages to accomodate 20 coin holders.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
So far, so good - but only so-so.

I have an album and a pack of three sheets each of large, medium and small coin holders.   Unfortunately the large size is exactly 2" x 2" so it won't hold a 2" x 2" holder without trimming, although there is enough space on one side which would have permitted a slightly wider slot.   I shall be taking this up with the supplier of the album.

I'm currently experimenting with different combinations of what to have on a page.   At the moment, I'm using it for crowns, silver 3d and brass 3d and it looks quite good.   I shall be receiving some more of these coins in the next few days which should improve the appearance.

Spacing coins in the album will need careful thought.   Once I have it right, I'll tell you how it is laid out.

Bill.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 01:40:22 PM »
In case anybody is looking for "alternative" ways of storing coins, here is something different ...
http://www.muenzen-album.de/artikel/muenztableau.html

Have not used that system, so I cannot tell how good or bad it is. The basic idea - each coin is in some holder, and the holders can easily be rearranged in that "box" - sounds interesting. Now all I need is a place (coin show) where I can see that thing in real life.

Christian

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »
Thoughts on the 2" x 2" holders and clear envelopes.

I like the idea of using 2" x 2" containers of some sort but the problem is then storing them.   What size were the holders for the transparancies that we used to have from our colour films?   The size seems about right and the storage system for them, long moulded plastic boxes usually, would seem ideal.

Can someone come up with some measurements?   Would the coin holders fit?

Bill.

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »
Thoughts on the 2" x 2" holders and clear envelopes.

I like the idea of using 2" x 2" containers of some sort but the problem is then storing them.   What size were the holders for the transparancies that we used to have from our colour films?   The size seems about right and the storage system for them, long moulded plastic boxes usually, would seem ideal.

Can someone come up with some measurements?   Would the coin holders fit?
Bill,
These containers for storage of transparancies are perfect for storing 2" x 2" coinholders as long as you put the coinholders in with the little lips sideways.
I've been using them for many years to store the coins I don't want in my albums.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 05:13:59 PM »
Thinks.   Where can I find some?  ???

Bill.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Plastic in coin cartons and plasticizer
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 05:21:16 PM »
I think you can get them from the same supplier who provided you the coin holders.I would recommend the regular sized ones which can accommodate 20 coin holders.(which I use)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 05:29:59 PM »
I'll have a word in my pharmacy (who deal with photographic items) and also a professional photographer near there on Tuesday.   If I can find them locally, I can choose which ones seem best, otherwise I'll phone my coin dealer although he doesn't advertise them.  8)

Bill.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Plastic in coin cartons and plasticizer
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 05:40:51 PM »
I'll have a word in my pharmacy (who deal with photographic items) and also a professional photographer near there on Tuesday.   If I can find them locally, I can choose which ones seem best, otherwise I'll phone my coin dealer although he doesn't advertise them.  8)

Also make sure that the plastic sheets are of good quality,otherwise it will badly affect your coin holders,just like in case of asm.. ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 08:29:18 PM »
I think that I now have storage methods solved.

Starting with an album and coin pages with holding strips for large, medium or small coins, I am now able to deal with loose coins.

I have also found similar pages for holding 20 'photo slides' which are perfect for taking either the 2" x 2" card holders or 2" x 2" clear envelopes.

Over the next few days / weeks / months / years I will work on making up albums to display my collection.   I still have to think about the final arrangement but the equipment is ready for whatever I decide and is readily obtainable, holders and clear envelopes from my dealer and the albums and pages from a local stationer.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Bill.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 11:11:16 PM »
Have you asked the seller of the pages about plasticizer? I don't know what's for sale in Britain, but such pages as you describe, when for sale here, invariably come from China or Central and Eastern Europe and they contain plasticizer. In fact, all my Russian proofs looked like and were sold to me as unc, because they were covered under the typical grey plasticizer film.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline UK Decimal +

• Honorary Member
  • Nil carborundum
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 11:38:55 PM »
It's my intention that any coin that is in high condition will be held in a holder.   The ones supplied by my dealer are by Hartbergers and clearly marked "Made in Holland" on the boxes.   Coins in an intermediate condition will be in a clear envelope and only the lower grades will be directly in album pages.

I foresee several albums with my UK decimals all either sealed in holders if they represent the best condition that I am likely to get, with ones waiting for upgrading to higher quality in clear envelopes.   With the 20-place 'photo slides' pages, I shall have one or more years per page depending on the number of types issued.   The 'photo slides' pages can also hold a capsule.   Pre-decimal coins are likely to be put directly into the 'coin' type pages as I am unlikely to have many of high quality.   Proof sets will remain in their cases.

My nephew, who lives with me, collects 'coins that he likes' rather than any particular country or theme.   We shall be able to share spare pages 'to best advantage'.

Bill.