Author Topic: Coin from Singapore  (Read 295 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Coin from Singapore
« on: December 02, 2019, 09:27:28 PM »
I hadn't thought of Morocco.  This is the coin that had me on the wrong track.  Interesting similarities.  Another great link, thank you.  I now know more about Moroccan coins than I thought possible ;-)
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: Coin from Singapore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 05:36:29 AM »
This obviously is Singapore

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 01:19:30 PM »

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 11:29:16 AM »
That link does an excellent job of explaining the symbolism on the coin. I can only add that in Malay, the name Singa-pura is a combination of the words for lion and city, hence the lion as the shield supporter. The British used the four-legged lion they were used to for Singapore in the Straits Settlements arms (granted 1911). In fact, the symbol of the city-state is the merlion, half fish half lion. Compare the name Singh (lion) that Sikhs use.

The tiger on the other side is a consequence of history. The arms date from 1959, when Singapore was planned to become part of the Federation of Malaysia, a largely Islamic and Malay (Bumiputra) entity, discriminating against Chinese. In Singapore, the population is predominantly Chinese and Islam is a minority religion. Singapore became independent in 1963 instead and the flag and arms of 1959 remained unchanged.

The banner with the words MAJULAH SINGAPURA reflects the first line of the national anthem.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 12:54:13 AM »
I found one nice coin in the collection.  1985 50 cent piece that is a copper/nickel.  25mm and 7.2g.  Has "Singapore" in four languages and the rev is the Allamanda Cathartica flower.  Neat coin.
The Chief...aka Greg

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 05:17:45 AM »
The two indeed are in the same series. <k> has done considerable work on consistency in series design. In this series, the consistent parts are the coat of arms and flowers native to Singapore.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.