Author Topic: Skandagupta Karmaditya (c. 455-467 AD), AR Drachm, Madhyadesha type, GE140(?)  (Read 122 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Skandagupta Karmaditya (c. 455-467 AD), AR Drachm, Madhyadesha type, GE140(?), Shivlee variety A (2.38 g, 14.2 mm)

Obverse: Bust of Skandagupta right; date GE140 (described as resembling the Brahmi letters Gu-pta in “Treasures of the Gupta Empire”) vertically on right
Reverse: Peacock standing facing with wings and tail outspread; border of dots. Brahmi Inscription "Vijitavaniravanipatir jayati divam Skandaguptoyam" (This is king Skandagupta, who has conquered the Earth [and] is conquering the Heaven)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Lovely ! I saw quite a lot of this type for sale recently. Possibly some hoard has surfaced. But none were as nicely detailed as this one.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
Possibly some hoard has surfaced.
Yes, very likely.
Examining a few dozens of these, I have the following impressions:
-It seems to me that the digits of the date were punched separately on the coins rather than engraved as part of the die, at least in some of the specimens.
-The people punching the dates were likely illiterate, for some dates, like the one shown below (101) don’t fit Skandagupta’s reign.
-I have not been able to find a satisfactory explanation for the date that reads 100, 40, +. Allan, Treasures of the Gupta Empire, and the other sources read this date differently. I could not match the + to any Brahmi digit.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
I have not had the chance to see enough of these to form an opinion on the dating on these i fear. Some incarnations of Brahmi "4" look like a "+" sign.
One thing i did notice; you use "Karmaditya" as title. I would think that is not equivalent in meaning to the more often seen "Vikramadiya" ?

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
One thing i did notice; you use "Karmaditya" as title. I would think that is not equivalent in meaning to the more often seen "Vikramadiya" ?
Vikrama=Valour; Aditya=Sun. Vikramadiya=The Sun of Valour
Karma=Action; Karmaditya=The Sun of Action

Looks like he really was the “last action hero” of the Gupta Empire. :-)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:58:38 AM by Overlord »