News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Ghana: New bimetallic 2 Cedi coin, 100 and 200 Cedi banknotes.

Started by Jostein, November 29, 2019, 04:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CannedMeat

Quote from: Pabitra on April 07, 2020, 04:07:24 PM
The design on reverse, which looks like "TiiT" repeated six times is not symmetrical.
What is its significance?
Thank you for calling my attention to it, it is interesting.
The top design has two dots. The other four have one dot, with the two on the left on a different symbol from the two on the right. The ring would have bilateral symmetry if it weren't for the long curve on left side of the top set (and on the same side of each other set of symbols).

Pabitra

Does any one think that it is some sort of Morse code or identification feature for visually challenged?

eurocoin

I was due to contact my contact at the Bank of Ghana to obtain designer information and will include this question. Although I do not think that it is some sort of message, it does indeed look odd.

eurocoin

The Royal Mint has been asked for information on who designed and modelled both sides of the coin. I have also asked for information on the significance of the lines pattern that is repeated 5 times on the reverse of the coin. They will reply to these questions in the third week of June. Whether they will provide all of the information asked for, I do not know.

These questions had previously also been sent to the Bank of Ghana but no reply has so far been received.

eurocoin

I had the Royal Mint emailing me today.

According to them the coin was designed and modelled by the Royal Mint Design Team. They claim it was very much a team effort and that each stage of the process was handled by various members of the design team which is why they do not want to credit anyone.

The Royal Mint informed me that the lines pattern that is repeated 5 times on the reverse is a decoration. It wrote that the inspiration for it was derived from the gates of the Jubilee House, the presidential palace of Ghana that can be seen on the coin. According to the mint details of the gate were used and given a "modern treatment".

Big_M

The Royal Mint has just featured this 2 cedi coin in its Annual Report 2019/2020 in the section dedicated to overseas sales.