Author Topic: Fake private countermarks  (Read 65 times)

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
Fake private countermarks
« on: November 24, 2019, 07:28:47 PM »
Just spotted these and I think that it's odds-on that they're fakes. Too much trouble has been taken to age them'

Defaced Coins Irish Political Counter Stamped X4 #4 | eBay

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
Re: Fake private countermarks
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 10:18:51 AM »
You're right, they're fakes.

These same four coins were listed some time ago and didn't sell. He's brought them back and at 80 Pounds won't sell this time either. This seller is one of the "serial fakers" who's been at it for several years. He's calmed down in the last year or so, but still offers a coin or two once in awhile.

There's another one from Cumbria, but he's moved from Troubles coins (poor ones at that) to "Votes For Women" counterstamps. Again, obvious fakes. Of about a dozen or so currently up for auction, there's only one example that I think is legitimate and it's not his.

It's a shame, but that's what collectors have to deal with today. Thanks for pointing these out to me.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 10:24:38 AM »
Would it have any effect to point this out to eBay?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 10:49:30 AM »
Would it have any effect to point this out to eBay?

Peter
Probably not, Peter.I know they're fakes but doubt I could make a convincing argument to eBay...even if they would listen. Older bogus pieces ...19th century...are easier to spot, but Troubles examples exhibit much subtler markers.

I've got a picture file of 60 or 70 fake stamps I've seen over the past few years. I've actually come across two or three hundred, but these are the worst examples. I have my own set of criteria that I've shared with other collectors, but haven't taken it any further.

When I get the chance, I'll post a few pictures from my file.

Bruce

Bruce
Bruce

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 01:25:58 PM »
I wanted to post pictures of a few of the fakes I've seen. These are good representative examples.

The "IRA" coin is a good example of someone trying too hard to make one look "home made" The combination of chisel (?) marks and punches is ridiculous. It would take an effort to make a coin look so bad.

The "Troops Out" lettering has been artificially colored. This type of alteration generally shows missing spots and a clumpy application of a substance that imitates the natural accumulation over time of gunk in the letters. The surface has also been cleaned in an effort to remove excess toning agent. This whole coin just looks artificial.

The "IRA All The Way" coin also has artificially filled lettering and has been doctored overall. The surfaces look unnatural. The overly jumbled slogan is another effort at deception. This is an old method used by fakers going back many years to forge counterstamps on coins The slogan on this one is also suspect...sounds more like a cheerleader's chant at a high school football game than an actual political statement.

Bruce
Bruce