Author Topic: 500 Fils  (Read 116 times)

Offline gpimper

500 Fils
« on: November 28, 2019, 03:40:30 PM »
Another coin design that I'm a fan of.  More pocket change!  That is a huge monument in down town Bahrain (one of the many round-abouts).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 08:15:41 PM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 500 Fils
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 08:23:18 PM »
Indeed, but the coin has a tragic aftermath, owing to the Arab spring. Pearl Roundabout has joined Tien An Men square as a symbol of lost hope.

Protesters in Manama camped for days at the Pearl Roundabout, which became the centre of the protests. After a month, the government of Bahrain requested troops and police aid from the Gulf Cooperation Council. On 14 March, 1,000 troops from Saudi Arabia and 500 troops from UAE entered Bahrain and crushed the uprising. A day later, King Hamad declared martial law and a three-month state of emergency. Pearl Roundabout was cleared of protesters and the iconic statue at its center was destroyed.

Source: wikipedia.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 09:34:36 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

Re: 500 Fils
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 09:18:31 PM »
Peter, having spent much of my adult life in the Middle East I can tell you that it is an unmitigated mess.  I see no fix.  Thankfully, I'm retired  ;D   
The Chief...aka Greg