Author Topic: 1/2 Riyal  (Read 370 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
1/2 Riyal
« on: December 13, 2019, 09:44:18 PM »
I’m sure I picked this up in Jetta, Saudi Arabia in the early ‘90s.  We called it a ½ Riyal but apparently it’s 50 Halalah.  I believe this one is a 1988 mint but I could be mistaken.  Translation, as far as I tell, is “King Fahd bin Abd Al-Aziz Al Saud.  Custodian of the two Holy Mosques.”  Year on the rev is Islamic and I think is 1408.  26 mm and 6.5 g.

Fun story…myself and a couple of my crewmates found ourselves in an old junk medal ware house just out of the big market in Jetta.  We found some crazy stuff!  It was all mostly unidentifiable but once we got it cleaned up it was pretty amazing.  One of my guys found a 13th century dagger that turned out to be worth over $15000.  Here is my find.  I’ve never had it appraised so it’s pretty much a dust collector that needs Brass-o every other year.  She's small, 6cm tall and 16cm long.  Pretty cool find, though!  Updated picture.  Any help would be very much welcome!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:59:07 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 1/2 Rital
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 10:54:36 PM »
Looks like an oil lamp. Give it a neat layer of renaissance wax (Ren Wax) or another acid-free vaseline type ointment and you never have to clean it again. BTW, Brasso removes metal. You lose a little more detail of the decoration every other year.

I'll leave the coin to the many whose Arabic is so much better than mine.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Re: 1/2 Riyal
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 04:01:54 AM »
Peter, I had not thought of that.  Great idea, thank you!
The Chief...aka Greg