Author Topic: A visit to the Paris Mint museum  (Read 136 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
A visit to the Paris Mint museum
« on: November 26, 2019, 05:05:33 PM »
The Paris Mint is the name of a company from Pessac, near Bordeaux. Its traditional HQ in Paris is now largely occupied by the museum of the mint, a commercial state-owned enterprise. I attended a meeting there last week, which gave me a chance to do a high-speed visit to the museum. Paying visitors had already been shown out. That gave me the opportunity to make a series of pictures of portrait punches with the lighting just right. I covered only kings on punches with good light. They were not necessarily used on coins, but most resemble a portrait used on coins. I tried to keep track of what I was doing, but in view of the hurry, I am not sure I got everything right. I have high-res variants of these pictures if you are interested.

Remember that you are looking at steel and that these are colour pictures. Enjoy.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: A visit to the Paris Mint museum
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »
Starting with a punch labelled Henri III (1574-1589). I wouldn't have guessed that.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 05:13:32 PM »
On to Henri IV, perhaps France's most popular king. The fine detail and artistry left me agape.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 05:31:11 PM »
Louis XIV became king when he was still quite young and lived to an overripe age. Here are five portraits from his life. His face changes and so do his whigs and clothes.

The portraits date from around 1640/1650, 1645/1655, 1663, 1678 and around 1690/1700. The second portrait suffers from reflection, giving a double-strike impression.

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
Louis XV in 1732. Note his most elegant shawl. Paris was already the European fashion capital.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 07:29:16 PM by Figleaf »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 05:43:20 PM »
Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. Born in the wrong century or a traitor and his frivolous wife? How about both?

Peter

Offline Oklahoman

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 07:14:32 PM »
Just wonderful!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline redlock

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 07:52:19 PM »
Thanks for these wonderful pictures  8)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »
Great photos of certainly great objects! Thanks for sharing them. :)

Christian