Coins of Kiribati

Started by BC Numismatics, July 07, 2007, 12:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC Numismatics

That's very interesting information about the designers.

A few weeks ago,I picked up the Kiribati 1979 5c. coin - in nickel-plated steel! So,I have got both metallic compositions for the Kiribati 1979 5c. coin.

Aidan.

africancoins

I got the Nickel-plated-Steel Kiribati 5 Cents 1979 in Jan-2004 when I got the 1 Cent 1992 (KM-1a) and 2 Cents 1992 (KM-2).

I expect that the "Nickel-plated-Steel Kiribati 5 Cents 1979" was made a very long time after 1979.

There are also two other cases like this - Bhutan 1 Ng.. dated 1979 and Bhutan 25 Ch.. dated 1979 both exist in plated-steels. I got these in Feb-2001. Again I would expect that they were made a very long time after 1979.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Galapagos

Descriptions from my 1979 Kiribati set:-

1c.   Frigate birds.
2c.   B'abai plant.
5c.   Tokai lizard.
10c.  Breadfruit plant.
20c.  Bottle-nosed porpoises.
50c.  Pandanus fruit.
$1.   Native sailing canoe.

Common  obverse: Coat of arms.   
Reverse designs:   Michael Hibbit.

A highly attractive set, one of my favourites.

dmp

Quote from: Figleaf on July 10, 2007, 02:51:23 PM
What I find remarkable is that you all agree that the commemorative $2 independence is the most used coin of Kiribati. That's pretty unique, that a high value commemorative is in such heavy use. My respect for this coin has increased quite a few notches now.

This whole discussion indicates how difficult it has become to find out what people really use, even from contemporaries. Different people will say different things at different times and the situation may even be different in different parts of the country. Rather than deplore te uncertainty, I think this is one of the charms of collecting. All the more so, because the mainstream coins are getting less and less interesting to me and I am constantly looking at the fringes. Thanks for a thorough discussion, gentlemen!

Peter
I relise this is a very old post but do you know how hard it is to find anything on the internet about the 1989 $2 commemoritive coin?
I have one sitting in front of me now. still in its plastic container and its vinyl case. Picked it in 1989 on the day of the Independance parade from the post office (for want of a better word) Not sure how many were made but a lot left the contry over the next few days in sailors pockets.

dmp

Quote from: Rupert on January 04, 2010, 01:22:28 AM
What other areas do you collect, dmp?
I don't sorry. I've just had this coin since the day I was their and have never really known much about it.
Originally I gave it to my Sister when I returned from that particular trip but when she past away I got it back.
Someone just told me on Facebook that it was valued at $6.50 in BU condition (whatever that is). its been out of its case maybe 10 times since 1989 if thats BU condition. If you have facebook image link below

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=170305&op=1&o=all&view=all&subj=2204738423&aid=-1&oid=2204738423&id=100000198879338

Not sure if I would sell it if it was $500 so $6.50 means nothing to me.

translateltd

BU = brilliant uncirculated, i.e. absolutely original, as struck, no marks; so as long as no fingertips touched either face of the coin on its ten excursions out of its holder and it hasn't been in contact with any other coins, it probably still will be BU.

It's a nice keepsake but I doubt it will ever be worth vastly more than what the catalogue currently quotes.