Author Topic: ID a good for token  (Read 260 times)

Offline b1gb0b57

• Reader
ID a good for token
« on: November 24, 2019, 12:45:24 AM »
Hello All ! I'm a new member here, and over time I'm sure to have lotsa questions (and maybe even a few answers). I recently purchased a Good For token I cannot place. It is 19mm in dia., and aluminum. it reads: COOKIE'S/ (bowtie)/14485/GRATIOT//GOOD FOR/ (large)5(small cent sign)/IN TRADE//. It is not listed in Cunninghams Michigan catalog (the address puts it on the "east side" of Detroit).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: ID a good for token
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 10:26:17 AM »
Hello b1gb0b57, welcome to WoC and congratulations on your first post. May there be many others.

I paid a visit to the address on the token, using Google maps. It is now a supermarket (Mike's Fresh Market), off the main road. Zoom out and the area becomes a sore thumb, lacking green. The denomination on your token says it is a few decades old. My guess is that the area was the seat of an industrial plant before, torn down when the company disappeared or re-located and re-developed at the time Detroit was car capital (lots of parking places, now badly maintained.)

Speculation: Your token is obviously not from a large industrial plant, so it dates from after the presumed conversion. My best guess is that it took place in the period 1960-1980. I would put your token in the early part of that period in view of the denomination. Still, that means the present buildings are a good guide for where Cookie's was located. If I can speculate some more, the present destination of supermarket sounds good for the surface. It's too big for a playing hall, small stuff vendor or watering hole. I could imagine this token as part of a loyalty ad campaign (get one token for each $10 in shopping! Valid until next week!).

Now, if at the time, the area already counted small shops within the large building all bets are off.

Furthermore, you'll understand that it is really helpful to post a picture. If you find that difficult, just read the board on picture problems or yell for help or send a PM to our member Gpimper. He's an American and he was able to learn how to post pictures quickly. Good luck.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 10:57:21 AM »
Hello All ! I'm a new member here, and over time I'm sure to have lotsa questions (and maybe even a few answers). I recently purchased a Good For token I cannot place. It is 19mm in dia., and aluminum. it reads: COOKIE'S/ (bowtie)/14485/GRATIOT//GOOD FOR/ (large)5(small cent sign)/IN TRADE//. It is not listed in Cunninghams Michigan catalog (the address puts it on the "east side" of Detroit).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Nice to see you here at WoC, b1qb0b57.

I'll see if I can find anything on your token. As Peter says, a picture would be most helpful.

Do you have a special interest in Merchant tokens?

Bruce
Bruce

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 12:32:49 PM »
I did a little research on your token. Unfortunately, I didn't find anything.

I did have access to some older Detroit city directories from 1874, 1913, 1914 and 1928 but none listed Cookie's. 1874 is probably too early but I had hopes for the 1928 directory. My feeling is that its early to mid 20th century and probably a saloon token. A picture would be very helpful.

There's no mention in Russ Rulau's token catalog, or on the Token Catalog or TAMS websites. TAMS is hard to search so I easily could have missed it. They have about 20,000 examples there.

I'll browse a bit more.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 08:16:45 PM »
I think the bow tie suggest something slightly more classy than a saloon. Cookie might just be a nickname holdover of a (navy?) cook. A diner might fit, except that they'd have no obvious need for a token.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 09:39:06 PM »
The bow-tie is a red herring as it only describes a spacer which is often a bow-tie; others might include a dot or a diamond etc.

See image below.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 12:42:05 PM »
The bow-tie is a red herring as it only describes a spacer which is often a bow-tie; others might include a dot or a diamond etc.

See image below.
That's what I thought of the bow-tie too, Mal. These and other "flourishes" were common on trade tokens.

As to a more classy joint than a saloon, Peter, I only frequent those kind of places. Any place that keeps their bottles of booze on the floor don't get my business. Classy all the way. ;D

Bruce
Bruce

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 04:33:01 PM »
Gnee gnee. I must confess I had another picture in mind, as I occasionally wear a bow-tie. The next occasion is planned to be Christmas. The thing on your token reminds me more of a toffee. As I said above, a picture is worth 1024 words. ;) Come on b1gb0b57, be a sport and post a picture!

That does sink most of my speculation, though, so I learned not to speculate on insufficient information. Or have I? ::)

Peter

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 06:19:54 PM »
I wore bow ties for a time when I was younger and worked in the hotel industry. People started looking at me funny, so I stopped. I must confess that I bowed to social pressure...my wife hated them. People aren't big on bow ties over here.  :)

Bruce
Bruce

Offline b1gb0b57

• Reader
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 01:14:09 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, guys! To answer some of your inquires: I have a stoopid phone (and a stoopider operator). One day soon. I'll learn to take pics of coins clear enuff to show; I sorta collect tokens of various sorts, basically ones that were worth something; ie: Michigan merchant, transportation, parking, OPA, etc. Also whatever grabs my eyes at the bourse. My main collecting interest is World coins (real money, not so much NCLT's).

Sorry about the delay in answering; between Thanksgiving, and then the MSNS show, I'm finally getting caught back up.

Bob

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 10:44:55 AM »
Good to hear from you again, Bob.

I had a stupid phone not that long ago too. I finally upgraded, at least a little, but haven't gotten into the picture taking end of it. I have a nice Canon camera that I use for imaging my coins. Works well for me.

Looking forward to seeing more of your collection...pictures or not.

Bruce
Bruce