Countermarks related to European integration

Started by eurocoin, November 20, 2019, 07:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

Quote from: FosseWay on July 09, 2020, 07:57:24 PM
Yes, that's the Brexit coin. The choice of host for that particular message won't have been random  ;)
Yes, nothing more appropriate for this guy than that one.

Bruce
Always Faithful

eurocoin

I <3 EU countermarked over the Brexit 50p, as was today found in circulation in Keighley.

© Choudary Shahid - Rare UK Coins Buy Sell Or Swap, Facebook

brandm24

That's interesting. Bet there's more than one.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

I don't know if this is an anti-Brexit stamp but presume it is. Boris Johnson is the subject of course but Brexit probably fits in there somewhere. Coin from the York area recently.

Bruce
Always Faithful

FosseWay

While I'd imagine most people opposed to Brexit are also opposed to Boris Johnson, I think these days there is also considerable anti-Boris sentiment among Brexit supporters. This could almost count as part of a new category: covid countermarks ?

eurocoin

Was it found in circulation, and by who/where was it reported?

Figleaf

Perhaps not so much anti-Brexit as anti-BoJo. His recent position that a boozy party was work-related, so he didn't have to wear a mask (HUH?) did a lot of damage. It wasn't even COVID related, but rather a reaction to his attitude of "I am above the law", I guess.

If you equate madness with being self-destructive (perhaps some people are too irrational to make it a one-to-one relation) Bojo is mad. But in that case, so is Trump and so were many rulers, including Clinton, Henry VI and Nero.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Quote from: eurocoin on February 11, 2022, 06:49:09 PM
Was it found in circulation, and by who/where was it reported?
Couldn't get much information but, apparently, received in change a month or two ago by a man in York.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Quote from: FosseWay on February 11, 2022, 06:27:35 PM
While I'd imagine most people opposed to Brexit are also opposed to Boris Johnson, I think these days there is also considerable anti-Boris sentiment among Brexit supporters. This could almost count as part of a new category: covid countermarks ?
Covid countermarks...interesting. Early on in the pandemic I did see a small number or US coins that were covid related. I don't recall what was stamped on them but they didn't seem to be politically motivated. Fortunately, they disappeared shortly after as they were in such bad taste. There was little interest in them, certainly not from me anyway.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Any idea about the meaning of this one? A YES to Brexit?

No details as it was listed on eBay.

Bruce
Always Faithful

FosseWay

The most obvious big political question just now to which the answer is YES (or NO) is Scottish independence.

The Brexit debate has never AFAIK been framed using a question to which the answer is yes/no - it's always out/in, remain/leave etc.

chrisild

Right, you cannot answer an "either-or" question with a mere Yes or No.  ;)  But I find it somewhat strange to use a simple YES as a countermark on a piece that may circulate for decades ...

brandm24

You're right, it could mean yes to either option...doesn't make sense. That's the problem with many countermarks. The message isn't clear to anyone other than the issuer. Why bother then?

Bruce
Always Faithful

FosseWay

Quote from: brandm24 on February 23, 2022, 12:06:52 PM
Why bother then?

To provoke discussion among those who find them?  :D

I once received a £10 note from a cash machine with Пролетарии всех стран, соединяйтесь! (Workers of the world, unite!) written on it in ink, in perfect copperplate Cyrillic. Why?

Figleaf

Interesting.

Vote for the communist party? I am sure they want European integration ... their way. :)

On the YES punch, in "gift" shops and other clutter selling points, you can find devices, mostly coin-shaped, sometimes dice-like, to randomise your decisions, as in "can I have [insert favourite fatty or sugary stuff here] today?" As a fellow student explained, if it's head I go to the cinema, tails I read a novel and each time it stands on the edge, I study.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.