Author Topic: Tonga, I think  (Read 251 times)

Offline gpimper

Tonga, I think
« on: November 02, 2019, 05:16:24 PM »
Found this little gem in my overseas grab bag.  I've never been there but seemed to have picked up some were (probably Guam or Okinawa).
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: Tonga, I think
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 07:22:13 PM »
Yes, Tonga it is.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 09:18:24 PM »
It is unlikely that you picked it up in Okinawa. Japanese money circulates there and there is no Japanese coin that looks like this coin. On base, I suspect US money circulated. The Tongan coin is 1.5 mm smaller than a US cent. That's enough to feel and see the difference. For the same reason, Guam, where US coins circulate, is unlikely. Also, I believe cents are no longer circulating on military bases. Don't know when that started, though.

The Tongan coin has the same diameter as an Australian and a New Zealand cent. You could have picked it up in change there.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 11:15:36 PM »
New Zealand is a good possibility.  Maybe even Hawaii.  Little side story...We were living in Waimanalo on the East cost of Honolulu.  I took the trash out one week then realized I had another bag to go out.  Opened the trash bin and found five Fiji visa passports right on top (all expired of course)!  I turned them in but to this day I wonder why they chose my trash bin?
The Chief...aka Greg