Egyptian coffee token

Started by Manzikert, October 30, 2019, 11:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manzikert

At the local coin fair on Sunday I was shown this token and asked to identify it.

My first guess was possibly Egyptian, mainly because of the fez on the portrait, but it could equally be Turkish I suppose. The portrait is obviously from a larger die as there are traces of a marginal inscription at upper left.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thin, cupro-nickel, 2.76 gm, 23.5 mm, milled edge.

Alan

aws22

Dear Alan, I think this is a token for a coffee shop in Alexandria Egypt called "Muslem Coffee".
Inside top circle: قهوه مسلم ٥ meaning "Muslem Coffee followed by digit 5".
Below, could be " سندس مر حسن بعطره Sundus mir Hasan flavored " which I am not sure of?
I hope that helps

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Figleaf

Why Alexandria, Maythem?

The decoration looks Turkish to me. Nevertheless, I have seen Egyptian tokens (in French) in this metal and approximate size. Also, could "Muslem Coffee" be a trade mark for coffee? If it is, that would be a strong indication for Turkey. Egyptian tokens tend to be for shops and stands, while Turkish tokens are more likely from producers.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Thank you Peter, there is a coffee shop in Alexandria with this name, in this shop they have the name Hasan as one worker or the owner, it could be any Egyptian shop. I still cannot read the first word at the bottom, I am not happy about the word Sundus. It could be a type of bitter coffee or a name?

Maythem

saro

What about "coffee 5 millims" instead of "muslem" ?
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Manzikert

Dear all

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I will pass them on to my friend.

Obviously if anyone can come up with a definitive reading my friend would be very glad to hear it. Also, if anyone has seen a larger piece using the full obverse die It would be interesting to hear of it.

Alan

aws22

Dear Saro, it could very well be " 5 milliemes  مليم ٥ ", thank you Saro. In that case it is a coffee token used in an Eygptian shop.

Maythem

aws22

Dear Alan, reading the token again, it may be:
Inside top circle: قهوه ٥ مليم   meaning " Coffee 5 millieme ".
Below, " قلدس جرجس بعطره Kaldis Girgis Be-Attrah " which could be a Christian name.

Maythem

Figleaf

[speculation]Since a number of Egyptian tokens were issued by Greeks, Girgis might be Geórgios[/speculation]

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Thank you Peter, " Girgis جرجس or جرجيس  Geórgios " is common name also here in Iraq among Christian comunity (Greek Orthodox).

Maythem

Manzikert

Thanks again to all for the help.

Alan

saro

Dear Maythem, I join you to read the curious 1st letter as a "qaf " ( written like the "qaf" of " قهوه "), to give "Qaldas قلدس "; ("Qaldas or Kaldas" is a quite common egyptian family name ).
I think that some dots of the bottom legend could have been added as ornaments and are puzzling...
The bottom text is most probably the name of the coffee shop owner; likely "Qaldas mir Hasan ba'trah???

aws22

Thank you Saro, yes I do agree with you because if it was Girgis جرجس, the style of the first & third letters should have been the same but they are not and it is likely that the first letter is " m م ". So it is likely to be " mir Hasan مر حسن ".
The final text is then " Qaldas mir Hasan Ba'trah قلدس مر حسن بعطره " which is a common Egyptian family name.

Maythem

Figleaf

You two are unbeatable.  :applause:

Peter

saro

Thank you  :)
an anecdote: the word "kawa" ( قهوه ) is very often used in french popular language instead of "café" (coffee) : a memory of our common french-arabic past.