Author Topic: NAAFI  (Read 3729 times)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
NAAFI
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:18:33 PM »
I could say that this is a military machine token - but that may sound like a token for some "military machine" somewhere in the world. So let me say it is a slot machine token for use by the military.

The diameter is approximately 26.5mm. Design is all incuse. Both sides are the same.

In Afghanistan and Iraq the currency used by the British troops is/was the U.S. Dollar. The "2" is for 2 Dollars and these tokens exist so that 2 Dollars of money can be put into the slot mechanisms on gaming machines and pool tables. The are no U.S. coins around in these places and those EFI POGS would not work in a coin slot. The tokens were introduced at the end of 2003.

Could this one be an internet first ?

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
Re: NAAFI
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:06:02 AM »
NAAFI made me think of my military service. I was stationed as a Belgian medical officer at Rheindahlen JHQ in 1982-1983. That's where I learned about the NAAFI stores. It was one of the possibilities (besides the Dutch store and the CMC - Belgian Cantine Militaire Cantine) we could shop at interesting prices. We just had to avoid border control when getting home for the weekend.

bart

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:09:03 AM »

After Paul showed me this one I was lucky enough to acquire the 2 and the companion piece 5NAAFI.
They are both now listed in John Yarwood's 2011 edition of Military Tokens of the British Commonwealth.

[available from the author using PayPal.]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:02:59 AM by malj1 »
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »
Congratulations, Malcolm. A very good illustration of how interesting tokens can be, even if they are plain looking. These pieces have a story to tell.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 04:34:32 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:50:06 AM »
It is now three years later and I have never seen or heard of another 5 NAAFI token. I have been asked if I have any by at least two collectors who want one.

I do have half a dozen of the 2 NAAFI piece.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline gardener

• Reader
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 07:41:40 PM »
I actually have a few of the 5 tokens. I would be interested in selling a few if they helped anyones collection.