News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Finland 2019: The 1919 Constitution Act

Started by chrisild, October 28, 2019, 07:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

This year's commemorative €2 coin from Finland - seems there will be just this one - is about the 1919 Constitution Act. The somewhat plain design is the same that the mint used for the €100 gold coin issued on the same occasion: It symbolizes the separation of powers (trias politica) - a legislative, an executive, and a judiciary power. Mintage 500,000 ...

Christian

chrisild

Seems that the €2 commem has not been issued so far. The designer of the coin (and of the €100 piece) is Dario Vidal; this is his website:
Competences and awards / The €100 coin design

Christian

Rasmus

Still no decision...

From todays MoF announcement:

No new collector coins will be minted in 2019. The Ministry of Finance will issue a separate announcement if it decides to place any other collector coin products on the market before the end of the year (including the Constitution Act of Finland 1919 commemorative coin).

Full press release here:  Finnish collector coins contract awarded to Nordic Moneta - Article -

Rasmus

chrisild

Thanks for the update! Nordic Moneta is part of Samlerhuset, right?

Christian

eurocoin

It seems that the Constitution Act commemoratives minted for circulation have been released. I have seen several reports of Finnish collectors who got them in their change. Whether coins will also be sold directly to collectors and dealers remains unknown. It is possible that just like in 2004, this commemorative too will only be released in circulation mixed in rolls with circulated coins.

eurocoin

Interesting! Nordic Moneta is indeed one of the companies that are part of the Samlerhuset Group, which owns the Mint of Norway. It has also close ties to Tower Mint. Apparently they only won the tender for the collectors coins.

According to a member of another forum the tender for the production of the Finnish circulation coins and commemoratives was awarded to Mint of Finland.

redlock

Quote from: eurocoin on November 15, 2019, 06:53:25 PM
It is possible that just like in 2004, this commemorative too will only be released in circulation mixed in rolls with circulated coins.

Oh, that's going to be ''fun'' for folks still collecting the €2 coins.
Back when I was still collecting the €2cc I bought the finnish 2004 from a dealer for €7. Back then, I thought it was a rip-off (and yet, I bought it anyway  ;D). Boy, was I wrong.  :o

Rasmus

Well, seems thisone have same distribution...
Thisone is from circulation.

Rasmus

Figleaf

Congratulations, Rasmus. Finland has become unexpectedly difficult to collect from circulation. In particular the period 2007-2010 (2 series) is almost completely missing from my collection. I got two commemorative double euros by happy coincidence and they are not from circulation and that's all. With a population of just over 5 million (roughly about a quarter of the Netherlands) you would expect small mintage runs and its geographic isolation plays a role also, I suppose, but I see more Cyprus than Finland in the Paris area. I like the Baltic countries and go there whenever I can, but even there, I see few if any Finnish coins. Maybe it's different if you live there.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

I have been searching ever since the first commemorative was issued 15 years ago. Never found a single commemorative 2 euro of Finland despite checking ten thousands of 2 euro coins over the years. A very disappointing country.

chrisild

Quote from: eurocoin on November 25, 2019, 12:34:35 PM
A very disappointing country.

... as far as getting €2 commems from circulation is concerned. ;)  Design wise they have had quite a few really intriguing pieces, both markka and euro issues.

Side note: The way the three powers (or spots) are arranged vaguely reminds of the shape of Finland on a map. Not sure whether that is something I "read into" the piece, knowing where it comes from, or whether the designer meant it that way.

Christian

Rasmus

Ahh, unfortunately I wasn't person who picked this  8), I just got it from local flea market dealer...

But I have found here Estonian, Finnish and German commemoratives, so some of them are in circulation.
For ordinary Finnish coins, there lot of them in circulation here, even 1 cent coins.

Rasmus

Figleaf

Quote from: chrisild on November 25, 2019, 12:55:16 PM
Side note: The way the three powers (or spots) are arranged vaguely reminds of the shape of Finland on a map. Not sure whether that is something I "read into" the piece, knowing where it comes from, or whether the designer meant it that way.

Three merged soap bubbles on a wet, flat surface. My grandchildren create them regularly as they turn the whole bathroom into their bath. ::)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Yeah, could well be my crazy imagination. Then again, remember this Dutch collector coin? ;)

Christian

eurocoin

Sale of these coins to collectors has now started by Nordic Moneta Ab on their special website http//www.suomenmoneta.fi/. Only 90,000 of the 500,000 coins are available for sale on there.

Finnish people can buy the coins here for 5.95 euros (max. 5 pieces per client). The coin will be delivered in a coin capsule. Postage is 6.95 euros regardless of the quantity bought.

Note that there is also a page on their website where you can order the coin cheaper but then you automatically subscribe to a collection and will be sent coins every 3 weeks!

People who like to order more than 5 pieces have to order at least 250 pieces. They then pay 3.95 euros per piece.

Collectors who live outside of Finland can email purchase@nordicmoneta.fi to place an order.