Author Topic: Akbar, AE Dam, Allahabas (Allahabad),Illahi 31, Mihr. KM#32.5. Liddle Type C-47  (Read 867 times)

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
Akbar Dam, Allahabas (Allahabad),Illahi 31, Mihr, 20.51g, KM#32.5. Liddle Type C-47.
Here the mint name is on the top and month is at bottom on the obverse. The reverse has "Sana" at the top and Illahi year at the bottom.
The obverse of this coin appears to be double stuck.

Thanks
Bhushan
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 05:03:47 PM by PeaceBD »

Offline abhinumis

• Honorary Member
good coin.. Wonder why was it called illahabas instead of Allahabad.. But that's what is on the coin. Also it comes in only one date Ilahi 31.. The allahabad fort currently under the control of the army is one of the most formidable forts and was considered a work of marvel even in those days..
Dr.Abhishek

Offline ChrisHagen

• Meritorious Member
Fantastic details for a dam!

The obverse appears overstruck to me, not doublestruck. Interesting. Perhaps it was struck on a dam of a previous ruler.

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
good coin.. Wonder why was it called illahabas instead of Allahabad.. But that's what is on the coin. Also it comes in only one date Ilahi 31.. The allahabad fort currently under the control of the army is one of the most formidable forts and was considered a work of marvel even in those days..

Thanks Abhishek. Liddle actually mentions more than just one year for this type. I don't remember the years of the top of my head but I will post them this evening. Like you though I have only seen Illahi 31 and month Mihr.

Fantastic details for a dam!

The obverse appears overstruck to me, not doublestruck. Interesting. Perhaps it was struck on a dam of a previous ruler.
Chris, thanks a lot. The reason I thought the coin was double stuck and not overstuck is because in that case the reverse should have also shown some signs of that.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
good coin.. Wonder why was it called illahabas instead of Allahabad..

It was called "Ilahabas" from the root word of Ilaha, being a derivative of Akbar's new religion Din-i-Ilahi, with Ilaha/Ilahi meaning "Divine" and 'bas' is an obvious corruption of 'avas' or 'vas', both meaning 'place', hence Ilahabas means the 'Abode of the Divine'.  It might refer to the city's ancient roots of it being a centre of pilgrimage and spirituality due to the Triveni Sangam (Confluence of 3 Rivers - Ganges, Yamuna & the hidden or mystical Saraswati) located there.

It was a provincial capital during Mughal times, also the seat of power from where Salim 9Jahangir) rebelled against Akbar, and the British later pronounced and wrote it in Roman characters as 'Allahabad' (City of Allah).

It reverted back to its traditional and ancient name of PRAYAGRAJ in 2018 that is Sanskrit rendition of 3 words combined: Pra (big or great), as in Pralay (Great Deluge); Yagya (sacrifice, prayers) & Rajya (state or place), hence Prayagraj means "Great City of Sacrifice or Prayers". In Hindu mythology, one meditates at the banks of the Narmada river and discards or sacrifices his life (dies, is reborn or becomes a monk) at the ghats (banks) of the Ganges.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Yes, again another reading error or an Anglicized reading of the Persian name. Illahbad it is, as read on the coin.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"