Author Topic: Pre Habbarid rulers of Multan  (Read 133 times)

Offline Rajagopal

Pre Habbarid rulers of Multan
« on: September 24, 2019, 12:36:07 PM »
Need confirmation/ correction from seniors on attribution of this tiny coin weighing 0.5 grams..I dont have the current reference standard on these coins.. So the following information has been obtained from searching Zeno as well as internet.. Obverse three dots with sri above, ta and pa on sides and lillah shibl below...Reverse shows sri ja(yam)/ ta raja.  Reference given on Zeno as Shibl (ca.840-61 / 64 CE) FISHMAN/TODD M53 TYPE E2.1.......Regards, Rajagopal

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Pre Habbarid rulers of Multan
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 07:45:22 PM »
Until now i avoided buying the Fishman catalog on this category in an effort to limit my attention a bit.
When i look at the examples of the Numismall site (run by Fishman) i think your ID is correct. But there may be some spelling variations.
For example if you compare with this one.

Anthony

Offline Rajagopal

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 07:08:09 AM »
Thanks for your comments... Actually you had mentioned about these coins and this site ( in reply to another post on woc).... And that prompted me to buy this coin

Offline Rajagopal

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 07:10:50 AM »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 09:19:29 AM »
Great to see the result of your inspiration, Rajagopal. It must be extraordinary to hold that coin in your hand.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline drnsreedhar

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 09:29:23 AM »
Great coin Rajagopal. That represents first ever Muslim rule anywhere in India.
Dr.Sreedhar

Offline shiblius

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 10:50:32 PM »
This is a coin of Amir Shibl (Arabic name translates to a young lion that can hunt on its own) of the Banu Sama (later known as Banu Munnabih a sub-tribe of the Quraysh confederation of Hijazi tribes) of the Emirate of Multan. These bilingual coins (dammas) are amazing in the sense that all of the Amirs who issued these adopted native Indian titles taken from the Hindu mythology, lending some evidence to the syncretism hypothesis.
The Habbarid ruled lower Sind and their capital was Mansurah (located near present day Shahdadpur in Pakistan), the Samids ruled Multan with the capital being the city of Multan, housing the famed temple of Aditya.