Author Topic: Civic copper of Erivan (Iravan)  (Read 113 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Civic copper of Erivan (Iravan)
« on: October 09, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »
Cu / 8,96g / 19,5-21,5 mm (slightly oval)
This coin is listed p.128 by B.Alaedini (8,44g / 20,4mm) with no visible date; on this examplar, there is a digit "2" at 7 o'clock
 and a "3" at 5 o'clock (123x ?) + an eight pointed star in the loop of " یر " of " ایروان ".
On Alaedini's coin, the left lower quarter is rubbed out, but I see a trace of the "3" at the same place.
not listed on Zeno.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Civic copper of Erivan (Iravan)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 09:55:01 PM »
The lion on your coin reminds me a bit of the painting style of the dogs drawn by a well known duch artist.
Good to see this coin landed with you. It still surprises me how fragmentary literature and knowledge on the more "modest" types of coinage is. The Zeno database is a great initiative, but certainly still has very major gaps.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:10:50 PM »
The 2 and 7 are indeed quite clear. As for the star, I would say it's a decoration. It would be fun if it were an elaborate 0, but a zero makes no sense. As there doesn't seem to be anything at 11 o'clock, I think you need to work out the century yourself. Your collection of these pieces will contain enough clues to do so ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 12:39:15 PM »
I think that the 2nd digit is a "3" and not "7.
An incredible number of types of civic copper coins has been struck at Erivan under persian rule; it's likely due to the economy during the trouble times with wars with both ottomans and russian.. Only a part of them has been listed today.
The date of this one could be (11)23, 12(0)3 or 123x   ???
Coins of years 1122 (a fish) & 1123 (peacock) already exist and I notice that the script and lion's style are not far from this quite common coin dated 1204 AH; for these reasons I have a slight preference for 1203 AH
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:24:28 PM by saro »
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)