Author Topic: G. Cavey & Sons  (Read 134 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
G. Cavey & Sons
« on: September 27, 2019, 09:10:11 AM »
G. Cavey & Sons. Very little is to be found on this company other than that another series of tokens are known for G. Cavey & Sons Plumstead. I imagine they had more than one store as the tokens have Stores in plural. 

I found an entry in a Google book for another store at Gravesend, Gravesend Through Time, By Robert Turcan. Quote:

Beautiful clean aprons and smart hairstyles were the distinctive mark of shop assistants in the early twentieth century. This is exemplified in both pictures here. Firstly at G. Cavey & Sons, corn and flour dealers of No. 50 High Street, who were next to the passageway on the right known as Globe Yard (it leads through to Princess Street). Among the priced items in the window are Tapioca Flakes at 4d/lb, Rice Flakes at 3d/lb, Splendid Tapioca at 3d/lb, Viota Scone Flour at 2d/packet, white’s Table Jelly at 2d/packet, laundry blue blocks at four for Id and nutmegs also four for Id.

This provides the information on the window ~ Cash bonus 1/- in the £ given on our coupons.

I would have expected a grocery or department store but the only other result is a directory search revealing - Hay Dealers: Cavey G. & Sons, 8 Villas rd. Plumstead; also Cavey George & Sons, hay dealers, 8 Villas rd. Plumstead. dated early 1891. Are they the same people? ???

There is another result here but they are thinking much too early and this is of little help.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 01:38:45 AM by malj1 »
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: G. Cavey & Sons
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »
G. Cavey & Sons - Stores, I have ½d, 1d, 2d, 3d, 1/- others known are 6d, 10/- and £1

Another series is known reading G. Cavey & Sons - Plumstead. I have seen ½d, 1d, 3d, and 6d. The 1891 directory gives 8 Villas Road. Plumstead and describes them as Hay & Straw dealers.

The 1917 directory lists several addresses with various descriptions.

Cavey, George & Sons, forage contractors, 13 Lakedale road, Plumstead SE18 (T A "Provender, Woolwich") T A = Telegraphic address.
 & corn & flour dealers 16 Chesnut road, Plumstead SE18;
2A, New road, Woolwich SE18;
58 Vicarage road, Plumstead SE18
 & corn & flour merchants, 80 High street, Peckham SE15

Another directory date unknown gives Cavey, George & Sons, forage contractors, Griffin Manor way, Plumstead;
& corn dealers, 126 Plumstead road, Woolwich

Not forgetting too we have the address with the picture from Gravesend Through Time,  50 High Street, Gravesend.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 01:32:45 PM »
I found the 21st century location of the Gravesend shop on Google Earth.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 01:45:09 PM »

There was a suggestion elsewhere that the first Letter is an 'O' but its just worn dies that cause this; the gap in the 'G' can be seen in hand on most examples.
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 02:13:16 PM »
ChesnutSic road is now part of Brewery road, See: A-Z New to Old Street names

Brewery road    Chesnut road (part)    Woolwich    pre 1912
Malcolm

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 02:21:03 PM »
Excellent fun series with a different view on how local economies worked. Corn, flour and forage are indeed connected: horses bringing stuff to the mill. I think Mr. Cavey may have been the owner of a flour mill, who would have realised a) he could buy the flour off the farmer bringing it in and sell it in his own shop in town b) he could run a horse restaurant at the mill, as the horses would have been happy to be fed while the cart was (un)loaded and c) if the farmer could bring back forage, his trip to the mill would have been more worthwhile and efficient still. Someone with such a commercial mind would see the advantage of creating customer loyalty with these tokens. Maybe the only surprise here is that he didn't deal in (or didn't want to advertise he dealt in) horse manure also.

There is an interesting parallel in the company history of Oda (scroll down to see it appear).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 02:43:25 PM »
I'm old enough to remember the horse and cart delivering stuff especially during wartime when petrol was rationed.

The horse had a nosebag attached so they had food whenever they wanted it, therefore producing manure too.

Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 01:33:36 AM »
I'm old enough to remember the horse and cart delivering stuff especially during wartime when petrol was rationed.

The horse had a nosebag attached so they had food whenever they wanted it, therefore producing manure too.

We also see this horse gas mask from Germany, 700 pairs taken to Guernsey during WW2.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 01:51:30 AM by malj1 »
Malcolm

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 03:50:48 AM »
Two more recent views but before the latest incarnation, the second shows the passageway on the right known as Globe Yard.
Malcolm