Author Topic: Koppers Store token  (Read 144 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Meritorious Member
Koppers Store token
« on: February 25, 2020, 10:49:27 AM »
This is an interesting 17.5 mm copper token issued by the Koppers Coal Co. for use by employees in their stores. The miners were paid in tokens which were only accepted there and probably no where else. At times, coal scrip such as this was accepted at some local businesses but even then it was a scam that basically recycled the workers pay back into the company coffers.

Apparently, the company had over a dozen stores located at their facilities, mostly in West Virginia but also a lesser number at locations in Pennsylvania and Kentucky. I believe the token was issued in the mid to late 1930s.

On the reverse is the word "ORCO" which stands for the Osborne Register Co., the maker of the tokens.  They were located in Cincinnati, Ohio and were a large producer of this type of material.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Koppers Store token
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 11:10:14 AM »
These tokens were exchangeable for goods at the company store, often at highly inflated prices.

In Britain the Truck Act 1831 made this practice illegal in many trades, and the law was extended to cover nearly all manual workers in 1887.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 02:51:48 PM »

Last week, I read an article on how mining companies subscribe to all kinds of fighting climate change goals, then turn around and do nothing. As Marlene Dietrich put: "When will they ever learn?"

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
  • Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 07:02:07 PM »
These tokens were exchangeable for goods at the company store, often at highly inflated prices.

In Britain the Truck Act 1831 made this practice illegal in many trades, and the law was extended to cover nearly all manual workers in 1887.
They were made illegal here too, but I don't know the history behind it. Apparently, it happened long after it did in Britain.

Bruce
Always Faithful