Author Topic: Ilkhanid: Abu Sa'id (1316-1335) AV Dinar, AH720, Shiraz Mint (Album 2198)  (Read 373 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Ilkhanid: Abu Sa'id (1316-1335) AV Dinar, AH720, Shiraz Mint (Album 2198, Type C; Diler 494; ICV 2128)

Obv: Within a lobated square, ﺿﺮﺏ ﻓﻰ ﺍﻳﺎﻡ ﺩﻭﻟﺔ ﺍﻟﺴﻠﻄﺎﻥ ﺍﻻﻋﻈﻢ ﺍﺑﻮﺳﻌﻴﺪ ﺧﻠﺪﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻣﻠﻜﻪ (struck in the days of the reign of the Greatest Sultan Abu Sa'id Bahadur Khan, may Allah perpetuate his kingdom); within the lobes, to right, left and below, ; in eight segments around, mint and date
Rev: In a miḥrāb-like niche formed by the Kufic inscriptions, ﻓﺴﻴﻜﻔﻴﻜﻬﻢ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻭﻫﻮﺍﻟﺴﻤﻴﻊ ﺍﻟﻤﻠﻴﻢ (and Allah will be sufficient to protect you against them, and He is the Hearer, the Knower); inside the niche, ﻻ ﺍﻟﻪ ﺍﻻ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ ﻣﺤﻤﺪ ﺭﺳﻮﻝ ﺍﻟﻠﻪ (There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the apostle of Allah); below, the Rāshidūn, ﺍﺑﻮ ﺑﻜﺮ ﻋﻤﺮ ﻋﺜﻤﺎﻥ ﻋﻠﻰ (Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, Ali)
Dim: 8.10g, 6h

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Congratulations on this splendid aquisition !
It is very clear here that what i commonly call the central cartouche on the right side, is an elaborate calligraphic element as well.
This one has all one can wish in an Ilkhanid specimen; well centered, good strike, full readable legends and great luster !

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Dear Quant.Geek, thank you for showing this lovely gold coin, just to complete the information on first photo:
In the first photo within the 4 lobes from the inside it reads,
Top ضرب, Zarb
Right نعم, Nia'm, means blessing
Left ِالله, Allah
Bottom النصره , al-Nusrah, meaning "Victory".
In the eight segments around it reads starting at 2 O'clock and moving counter-clockwise:
ضرب \ تبريز \ في \ سنه \ عشر \ ين و \ سبع \ مائه
Zarb Tabriz fi Sanat 'Ishreen wa Sab'ami'a, meaning, Struck in Tabriz in year 720.
Abu Sa'id ruled during the period (AH 716-736/1316-1335 AD).

Maythem
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:36:55 AM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Thanks for the complement.  It was a joy getting this one and the Ilkhanid coins have some of the nicest designs. Maythem, thanks for completing the attribution.  I can't read nor write Arabic and it is always a challenge to attribute the coins properly.  I am going to update my notes with your transcriptions...

Ram

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Ram, your gold coin is well preserved with all transcriptions clear and I find it easy to read.
Is the diameter of your coin 23 mm?

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Thanks Maythem.  Unfortunately, I don't have those dimensions and the coin has been put away, so I can't measure it at the moment. 

Ram
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:38:17 PM by Quant.Geek »