Started by jezuss, September 20, 2019, 06:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jezuss

token with only a crown
26.3 mm
2.9 gram
silver plated brass

Prosit

Since it has a slot in it, it looks like maybe for a ribbon or maybe it is a fob...
Interesting. May be Royal Crown Whiskey.

Dale

jezuss

the crown looks struck, not engraved.
when it is a fob, i have a loss of 1 euro...

Figleaf

While it looks much like the crown of William I of the Netherlands, it may not be. My doubt rests on the decoration between the headband and the "bows". On pictures of the original, they look like flowers with four petals, though I haven't found a clear picture of that part of the crown. On your piece, they look like trefoils. However, it is highly likely to be the crown decking the coat of arms of the Netherlands, which has flowers with three petals.

I think the slot is for a ribbon (orange, I presume), not for a ring, so it isn't a watch fob. My guess would be that it was worn with the ribbon around the neck by a Dutch royalty supporter at royal house festivities.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Addendum. The crown of William II does have flowers with three petals. So there. The new mystery is what did William II need another crown for? Being a pinhead?

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

I have seen quite a few pocket watch fobs with slots. Not saying that is what it is though.
Dale

brandm24

Quote from: Prosit on September 20, 2019, 07:38:39 PM
Since it has a slot in it, it looks like maybe for a ribbon or maybe it is a fob...
Interesting. May be Royal Crown Whiskey.

Dale
Having enjoyed a splash of Crown Royal on a few occasions...quite a few occasions.. but who's counting?...it's not that, Dale. ;D

I like the piece, but I suppose we could speculate endlessly about what it is.

Bruce
Always Faithful