Author Topic: Iran, commemorative silver medal of the birthday of Imam Reza  (Read 109 times)

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Iran, commemorative silver medal of the birthday of Imam Reza
« on: September 19, 2019, 03:16:59 PM »
I recently found it by chance...
obverse: shiite formula & circular legend : "during the reign and custodianship of Muhammad reza Pahlavi Shahanshah of Iran 1333 (solar date)"
reverse : "in honour of the 1225th birthday anniversary of Imam 'Ali Reza son of Musa 1373 (AH date)"

Silver / 7,25g , 27mm. Struck in 1954 AD by the last Shah Muhammad Reza Pahlavi.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Iran, commemorative silver medal of the birthday of Imam Reza
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 03:52:50 PM »
No portrait and a very traditional pattern. It looks like clerics had a large say in the design.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 05:28:07 PM »
No portrait and a very traditional pattern. It looks like clerics had a large say in the design.
Most probably...
The Shah Muhammad Reza used to honour Imam Reza's birthday by striking from time to time such medals : at least in 1954,1960, 1970 and 1975; some without design, others with different views of the holy shrine at Mashhad.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 10:40:27 PM »
It seems that the contemporary Reza sought to identify with the historic Reza. Identification with a religious personality or deity is also a tradition, both in Iran (ya Karim) and outside. Quite interesting. If you have or come across other medals of these series, maybe you could add them here?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
2 other Pahlavi medals from the web : silver and gold

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 08:48:14 PM »
The silver one is private property, but the gold one is public and may well disappear, so here it is for posterity. Source: Stephen Album Rare Coins, Auction 35, September 12-14, 2019

Peter