Author Topic: Kosala: 500 BC, AR Karshapana, Sahet-Mahet hoard.....beautiful bankers marks!!  (Read 112 times)

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Ancient India, Kosala Mahajanapada, 500 BC, Punch Mark Coin, Silver Karshapana, 3.17g, Sahet-Mahet Hoard

If this coin could speak, what a delightful story it would be of its journey from the mint, all across various districts, regions and other neighboring Janapadas, as evidenced by the numerous bankers marks that decorate every inch and millimeter of the flan.

Looks like this particular coin was very popular and favorite of various sarafs/ shroff’s as it passed through their hands. Each and every one of them caressed this beauty and left their mark for posterity.

Sometimes in the distant past, the coin got buried and lost to history, before it got a fresh lease of life upon excavation, changing hands before landing in my collection as a gift to myself this recent birthday!

Some of the bankers marks are quite beautiful and perhaps unpublished, especially those at 2,4,6,7,9 & 11 'o' clock. The plethora of bankers mark on the Rev has had the effect of nearly obliterating the Obv.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 01:21:05 PM by mitresh »
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
May you have many happy returns of your birthday Mitresh !
The amount of marks almost gives a psychedelic impression to the coin surface. Lots of stories and history in a small piece of metal !

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Thanks Anthony. It was love at first sight when offered to me recently on 13 Sep, my b'day, and I bought is as 'gift' to myself!

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Congratulations, Mitresh. One coin and a year's worth of experience richer. It is obvious why this coin tickled you. I may have found it irresistible also - within my wife's financial framework.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Shhhh........wifey doesn't know  >:D