Author Topic: Khanate of Shirvan, 1175 AH, AR Abbasi, Shamakhi mint  (Read 116 times)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Khanate of Shirvan, 1175 AH, AR Abbasi, Shamakhi mint
« on: September 16, 2019, 08:38:43 PM »
Khanate of Shirvan, In the name of Karim Khan Zand, 1175 AH, Silver Abbasi, Shamakhi mint
Weight 4.40 gm
Diameter 18-20 mm
Metal Silver
Obverse: Shiite formula (Kalima) " لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله علی ولی الله “, La illah l’Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah, ‘Ali Wali Allah, meaning, “no God but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, ‘Ali is the chosen one of God”.
Reverse: On top یا کریم Ya Karim “O Gracious One” (invoking an epithet of God, but alluding to Karim Khan) followed by mint & date  “ ضرب شماخی “, struck in Shamakhi, the date “ 1175 ۱۱۷۵ “ is around the word “ Zarb ضرب “.
Shamakhi, later the capital of Shirvan, is a former Khanate located in Azerbaijan.
It was taken by the Ottomans in 986 AH (1578 AD), restored to Persian rule 1016 AH (1607 AD). Shamakhi was under Safavid rule since Isma’il Shah I and became under Tahmasp Shah I, a Persian province with a Safavid governor at its head.
From 1034 to 1043 AH, the Governor of this Shirvan Province was a Safavid military commander named Qazak Khan Cherkes.
Later, between 1136 & 1155 AH, the city fell in Russian hands after the Russia-Persia war; Nadir Shah re-annexed it and Shirvan became a semi-independent khanate.
It was later occupied and annexed by the Russians in 1228 AH (1813 AD).

Maythem
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 10:13:34 PM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Tank you Maythem, we have now good samples of these silver coins of Shamakhi on WoC  :)
For pleasure, I have added one...see here
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Saro, but I am still unhappy about the date being 1185 AH and ruling period of Muhammad Said Khan ending in 1180 AH. It needs explanation?

Maythem

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
I am still unhappy about the date being 1185 AH
And what about "7" for the 3rd digit instead of a "8" ?

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Saro, yes you are right; the date is similar to your coin now " 1175 ۱۱۷۵ ".

Maythem

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Khanate of Shirvan, 1175 AH, AR Abbasi, Shamakhi mint
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 12:04:29 PM »
A complement of Shirvan khanate history after Nadir's re-conquest.
Hajji Muhammad 'Ali Khan was appointed by Nadir Shah at the head of the khanate in 1161 AH till 1177 AH when he was attacked and killed by Aghasi Khan and Muhammad Sa'id Khan, two brothers who then successed him as new khans of Shirvan. Aghasi was further blinded and Muhammad Sa'id emprisoned...