Author Topic: Of ribbons and medals  (Read 438 times)

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
Of ribbons and medals
« on: September 12, 2019, 09:21:33 PM »
OK, I'm bragging now...I retired so didn't bother updating (they are expensive!, two more Commendation Medals and two more Air Medals)  A fun challenge...name those awards ;-)  Totally not coin related, sorry  :-[  It is fun for Props, though 😎  A number are Unit Awards, not personal.  Forgot the number five NMCA Medal.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:42:00 PM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Of ribbons and medals
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 10:28:33 PM »
Go ahead, brag :) Us poor civilians only get to fill out expense account forms :-X. I've always maintained that with state clothing, state housing and state medical care, the armed forces are pretty communist. :D Meanwhile, I have no idea about any of your decorations. If row 6 center is a French flag, it's upside down, so it probably isn't ;)

On bragging and props, I forgot to mention I also flew just once in what was known as a super connie (Lockheed L1049). With its tip tanks, it was meant for long distances, but I just got on the last short hop.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 10:53:24 PM »
L1040 series were great air craft.  Not French, Kawait medal 🙂  Took some digging but here is the original.  Originally they wanted to award us with solid gold medals but the State Department said it would make us look like mercenaries so they said no  :(   Just bronze (wish it was gold :-)  I did neglect the obverse ;-)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 02:13:38 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 08:48:46 AM »
Now I'm back on numismatic ground. Order for the liberation of Kuwait, as inscribed above on the obverse (وسام التحرير‎ - Wisam al-Tahrir al-Kuwait), dated 1991, awarded 1994, comes in 5 classes, US awardees could only accept 5th class.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 07:55:22 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 02:28:12 AM »
Peter, you would be correct :-)  I was awarded that in 1994.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 02:49:11 AM »
Have to add some of the wife's stuff :-)  Undersea Warfare Qualification (I never got that).  This is one of mine, though, other the Flight/Strike Air Medal it's one of my favorites in design.
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 08:05:19 AM »
The ribbons are another world, but I can identify medals. This is the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, first issued 1961 for support of friendly nations or UN actions, including operations in the Middle East 1995-2003.

Peter

Offline gpimper

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 03:57:22 AM »
Found the original Award :-)  Took some looking!  Over 40 missions.  20 were considered combat (in reality we only got shot at no more than four or five times :-)  Even with my Air Medals the wife beat me.  MSM...I'll still post my Air Medals, though :-)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:13:09 AM by gpimper »
The Chief...aka Greg

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 07:57:35 AM »
First two are obverse and reverse of the NATO medal for Former Yugoslavia. Given to members of IFOR (Implementation Force) who participated in the implementation of Security Council resolution 1031, which was a peace agreement.

The star is the symbol of NATO, the executive organisation of IFOR, whose operation Joint Endeavour was the largest it undertook at any time. Fortunately. The highest risk I ran with NATO was its transparant front door. The same symbol, made of thick, blue plastic, is pasted on it and the door does not have an obvious handle. If you push the door on the star, it will cut your hand. That's all the blood I spilled for NATO :'(

Peter

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »
The third is the meritorious service medal (US version)

Peter