Author Topic: Cannery and picker's tokens  (Read 112 times)

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
Cannery and picker's tokens
« on: September 05, 2019, 04:22:22 PM »
This is a picker check and or cannery token I picked up at a major coin show in New York sometime ago.

Many of these tokens were issued by Maryland farmers here in the US (as this one was), though certainly other areas of the country employed such tracking and payment devices as well.The Maryland tokens have been well documented in a reference by David Schenkman who lives in Maryland and has done extensive research on many types of his state's issues. I spoke to David on the phone once about an issue I'd written about for publication in the TAMS journal (Token and Medal Society). I had a few details wrong and he wanted to correct me before it was published...he did so in a nice way. ;D

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of his book, so only know a few details about the issuer. The "J.P.K." stands for John Paul Knotts, the proprietor of a cannery(?) in Queenstown. Apparently it dates to around 1920 and was called the Knotts Cannery. It's listed by Schenkman as MD-770-K6, in the TAMS data base as #12347 and on the Token Catalog website as TC-68707. Neither TAMS or Token Catalog provide any additional information.

Other than this 1-corn I've only seen one other example stamped 3-bskt (meaning basket, I assume). A general search for additional information was unsuccessful. Any help on this would be appreciated.

I'd like to see any other examples of this type of tokens that members may have. Please post if you have them.

Many thanks.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: Cannery and picker's tokens
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 06:32:47 PM »
I have the two hop pickers' tokens illustrated below. Both are in lead, are blank on the other side and are very large (around 37 mm and 22 g). They are sufficiently similar that I feel that they probably come from farms in the same neighbourhood and were probably made by the same supplier. However, I have been unable to trace the George Read one; it only mentions his name and not the farm name or locality. Thoresby is in Nottinghamshire, England.

I presume the denominations - 8 HOP and 10 HOP respectively - refer to bushels thereof.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 06:40:04 PM »
Thoresby is shown here on an old 1:25 000 map (though not as old as the tokens). There isn't a farm shown there called Manor Farm South, but the manor itself is shown (where the marker is) and there are various unnamed buildings dotted around on the large estate.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 08:32:42 PM »
I have the two hop pickers' tokens illustrated below. Both are in lead, are blank on the other side and are very large (around 37 mm and 22 g). They are sufficiently similar that I feel that they probably come from farms in the same neighbourhood and were probably made by the same supplier. However, I have been unable to trace the George Read one; it only mentions his name and not the farm name or locality. Thoresby is in Nottinghamshire, England.

I presume the denominations - 8 HOP and 10 HOP respectively - refer to bushels thereof.
That's really large for a picker's piece. Mine is aluminum at 22mm so is substantially smaller.

I don't know who manufactured it, but may have been the farmer himself as the "design" is very simple. Blanks for these would have been readily available. I imagine there would be some information concerning makers of these checks in Schenkman's book.

Do you have an approximate date of issue? Thoresby or Nottingham census records from that era would probably yield a location.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 08:52:39 PM »
I haven't looked in detail for census returns from Thoresby - that is a good idea. However, the most recent publicly available census is 1911, as they are closed for 100 years in the UK.

Offline brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 09:03:25 PM »
They're really strict about census records in the UK. Our Federal census records are unavailable for 70 years, but many local records are there for all to see.

Another good way to find people is to search newspaper archive sites. His information might appear in an issue as an advertisement or general news story. Do you know if this type of record is also restricted? Here they're not.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 09:10:25 PM »
I have had a quick look at the censuses for 1901 and 1911 and drawn a blank. I am slightly hamstrung by the fact that I have a personal name but no place on one token and vice versa on the other. George Read is too common a name to do a sensible search on without a place or date (and such a person in Thoresby gave a blank) and the search sites are not really set up to do searches by place rather than person.

No, newspapers are not restricted by law; I am restricted only by what happens to have been digitised and what I have a subscription to. There is a lot of rather inconvenient sea between me and Nottinghamshire county archives, unfortunately!

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 09:46:20 PM »
Manor Farm South….  Fantasy.

One of a few similar types that appeared in numbers at some time about 5 to 10 years ago...

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 10:31:00 PM »
 ::)

You win some, you lose some, I suppose. Thanks for the info.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 12:33:10 AM »
George Read's token is probably a fantasy too. I don't believe I have ever seen a hop token that says hops!

Most hop tokens emanate from Kent and Sussex with a tiny minority from Herefordshire and Gloucestershire. He is not listed with these.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 12:38:44 AM »
See also REX GREENFIELD TRANSPORT for another of these fantasies, this too is very large at 37.5mm. 21g.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.