Author Topic: The changing of the king  (Read 158 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
The changing of the king
« on: September 04, 2019, 10:45:56 PM »
The king of the Netherlands has euro coin collectors bent in pretzels by appearing in public with a BEARD. The ministry of Finance, mandated to provide the national side of the euro coins of the Netherlands reacted that they had no plans for a facial hair version of the portrait on the coins. The only Dutch royals who had more than one portrait on the coins are queens Wilhelmina and Juliana. In both cases, the reason was aging, not growing a beard. All others were portrayed only as how they looked on the day of their coronation. Male vanity?

For commemorative coins, the story is different. It is up to the designers to decide which portrait to use. Since the 2019 designs have already been chosen, the royal chin extension may first appear on 2020 coins. Unless he shaves off his beard before.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Re: The changing of the king
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 11:23:17 PM »
Not sure about the 2020 date. :) According to the law, "Changes to the designs used for the national sides of regular coins may only be made once every 15 years, without prejudice to changes necessary to prevent counterfeiting of the currency." (The following portion, which refers to a new head of state, does not apply here.) So that would be in 2029 ...

Of course the law could simply be ignored (see the Vatican 2017). Or Willem-Alexander decides to take his beard off again. Or the Dutch government opines the current portraits are abstract enough. The latter seems to be the case here. :)

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 09:24:58 AM »
Those 2020 coins I mentioned are commemoratives. The circulation coins are handled in the first paragraph. Welcome to the first sign of old age, chrisild. Glad to have a fellow traveller. :D

Looking at that picture again, if he can acquire a receding hairline, maybe the portrait of William III can be re-cycled >:D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Henk

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 10:31:33 AM »
The Kings Willem I (1815-1840) and Willem III (1849-1890) also used more than one portrait. Although these do not differ much from each other, not as much as those for Queen Wilhelmina (1890-1948) who became Queen at the age of 10.

The different portraits are:
1.   MIchaut portrait (1817-1840)
2.   Braemt portrait on the gold 5 Gulden 1826-1827
3.   Schouberg portrait on the silver 1 and 2 Gulden 1840

Willem III:
1.   Schouberg portrait (1849-1890)
2.   Menger portrait on the gold 10 Gulden 1875-1889

For commemorative coins different portraits are used for each issue so there are many different portraits for Queen Beatrix (1980-2013) used on each of the many 10 and 50 Gulden and 5 and 10 and 50 Euro commemorative coins. Also the portraits used on the coins of Aruba and the Nederlandse Antillen are different.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 10:38:04 AM »
First opportunity for a design of the king with beard appears to be the 2020 'Liberation from the Germans' 5 euro coin.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:07:53 PM by eurocoin »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 11:00:39 AM »
Those 2020 coins I mentioned are commemoratives. The circulation coins are handled in the first paragraph. Welcome to the first sign of old age, chrisild. Glad to have a fellow traveller. :D

Ha, the first signs of old age hit me quite a while ago. Maybe I got confused because you posted this in the Circulation Coins sub-forum. Or maybe because I had not taken my Ginkgo pill yet which supposedly helps when it comes to - - forgot what they are for. 8)

Now on Dutch collector coins the royal portraits are "stylized" even more often, so maybe even a visible beard would be hardly recognizable on such a coin. Fortunately the king has some more time (to think about whether the beard is there to stay or not) until the Liberation coin design will be published ...

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 10:11:11 PM »
The beard is apparently here to stay. In contrary to many experts who ran out of superlatives to praise the King for his decision, I don't think it looks good at all. It makes him look like a drifter.