News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Coins found in east Pakistan

Started by Pien89, September 03, 2019, 10:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pien89

Hello,

Can somebody tell me more about these coins? Is it old Sanskrit symbols or letters?
Thank you!

Desibot

Hi

Its Nasir Al-Din Muhammad copper jital

Pien89

Wow, thank you! So almost 800 years old. Which writing/language is it?

Desibot

Hi

Sultans of Sind, Nasir ud-Din Muhammad Qarlugh, Billon Jital(2 ), Obv: outline of horse around - nasir al-dunya wa'l din, Rev: sri maha/mada ka/raluka in sarada characters

Thats what i could find regarding it

Desibot ;)

Figleaf

See here to learn more about the Sharada script.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pien89

It's very interesting. My family in law have the coins (like 40 coins in total) for already much years in the family. Thank you both for your help.

Figleaf

Welcome to WoC, Pien. I hope you have more stuff to share with us.

If the coins are still in Pakistan, you should be aware that stuff that is over 100 years old may not be exported. Some 40 coins of the same type is a hoard that has scientific value, as it would help making statistical analysis. For instance, with a larger number of coins you can get a more accurate picture of the official weight of the coins and fit that into the system of weights and measures in use in the area at that time.

In reality, laws and situations in many Asian countries work against such analysis and in favour of confiscation, graft and dispersion. Act carefully.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pien89

Thank you for this information. I will check that with the Pakistani Customs. I'm living in Europe and we were thinking about bringing the coins here for getting some more information.
We will act carefully.

jkk

For cataloguing purposes, that's Tye #347. It has several dozen subtypes which are, well, an uphill climb to specify.
Jonathan