Author Topic: Los Angeles (CA, US): No more tokens  (Read 76 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
Los Angeles (CA, US): No more tokens
« on: September 02, 2019, 11:19:15 AM »
In Los Angeles, the time of metallic public transport tokens has come to an end. Some time ago Metro (the company that operates many subway, tram and bus lines in the city) introduced plastic "TAP" cards that you buy and then charge up. And in just a few weeks, at the end of November, the old tokens cannot be used any more.

Actually I have never used them, but I suppose they were common among frequent riders in the previous century. ;) They were actually neat, with a bimetallic appearance, see here. Now if below you see an image, forget about clicking the link.

When I was in L.A. a few days ago, they had many signs in buses and elsewhere that reminded passengers of the deadline, see the attached image. The "TAP card" has been introduced by many or most public transport operators in the area. The term is partly redundant by the way as TAP is short for Transit Access Pass. But I suppose most people think of what they do with the card - they tap it. :)

Christian

Online brandm24

• BR & M
Re: Los Angeles (CA, US): No more tokens
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »
I think that's becoming more and more common, Christian. I live near Philadelphia and I believe all the metallic tokens for bus, train, and bridges have been discontinued in favor of plastic cards. I know for sure that the Transit systems in South Jersey don't accept tokens of any kind...or cash for that matter.

The wave of the future for sure, but seeing the vast variety of transportation tokens previously issued by various systems throughout the country was interesting. There's a fair number of collectors here who have an interest in them.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 01:26:29 PM »
Here in Oz we too cannot use tokens or cash but only a plastic card.

However just recently they have enabled the mobile phone to be used, at present just the analogue ones and not the Apple iPhone.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 03:22:18 PM »
This October I will be in LA for a week or so. I don't expect to get to look for coins or tokens but you never know.

Dale