Author Topic: Unidentified American (?) token  (Read 116 times)

Online brandm24

• BR & M
Unidentified American (?) token
« on: August 30, 2019, 07:08:18 PM »
I've had this token for about 15 years and have never been able to identify it. i always assumed it was a US issue because of the "of A" (of America?) at the end of the initials. I may have been wrong and looking in all the wrong places.

It appears to be a fraternal organization as the "Branch 109" might indicate a specific location. Many times the word "lodge" is used instead. I can't say as I've  seen the use of the term "Branch" before in reference to this type of organization. Any help would be appreciated.

The token is aluminum and is 24mm.

Thanks,

Bruce
Bruce

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Unidentified American (?) token
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 11:17:33 PM »
If you can't find, it do mere mortals have a hope? The info on the token says English-speaking country with decimal currency. That means US and Canada are the top candidates. Since you drew a blank, what are Canada's chances? In favour: the , the words "branch" and "of" (same elements plead for US). Presume that the first R means Royal and Canada becomes likely. Against: S. of A., if you assume the S stands for States, but what if it stands for Students? Also, no C in sight (no U either).

There is a French organisation called RNMA and it has an office in Canada. I mention it only for completeness, as I don't think it would have grown at least 109 little RNMA's in Canada. The token is professionally struck and I don't think it is contemporary. Aluminium probably means 20th century and not for a vending machine. Not a transport or telephone token, as it would have been catalogued already if it were. So what would a nickel buy in the past? I have seen the denomination used for chewing gum. I could imagine it buying a cup of coffee or tea in a staff restaurant in the interbellum period. Students come to mind once again.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 12:35:15 AM »
My thoughts:

Could be R.N.M.A.Society.of America - but no idea what this is ???

R.N.M.A.Society.of Australia doesn't work and the with a line through it is not used down-under, its a north American thing I believe.

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 12:52:30 AM »
Its not Royal Navy as this is always styled RCN = Royal Canadian Navy.

I did find this Canadian Legion token, this too uses Branch.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Online brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 12:41:36 PM »
Thanks for the input, everyone.

This could be late 19th century, but earlier tokens from that period were generally in brass. I always thought of it as a possible drink token, but the term "branch" sounds more official (?) not fraternal, at least in this country. If it's some kind of governmental issue then, it might be a commissary token...a good-for or 5 cents off the price of something. It could also be issued by a private company.

I'm going to look a little more into a Canadian connection. I'm just not getting anything on this one.

Bruce
Bruce

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 10:10:46 PM »
I did some looking the other day...  not quite enough clues for anything definite..  but the piece could have been to do with a certain branch in America of a communist (or similar) related organisation called the "R.N.M.A.S." active in the 1930s. I could not find a meaning for even part of the abbreviation R.N.M.A.S.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Online brandm24

• BR & M
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 03:56:22 PM »
That's a great lead for me to research...thank you.

I did look into a possible Canadian connection as I had mentioned. Unfortunately, nothing came of it.

Thanks again.

Bruce
Bruce